T5/Hybrid ramp-up time

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,
I've had LED only for 4 years now and I am going to add a t5 hybrid fixture. My question is how long and slow of a ramp up time should it be for adding T5 into the mix? 20-30 minutes a day for a week and slowly increase?

Also, have folks needed to lower their LED intensity at all if adding T5s?

Thanks so much!
Chris

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris,

As you've probably read, it's a lot easier to add T5s to LEDS than the other way around. I didn't have a Par meter when I added my T5s, so I simply started with them on for 60 minutes the first day and slowly ramped them up an hour a week (actually, my photoperiod increased by 9 minutes a day). There were a few threads on here and RC where people did similar without issues, so that's the schedule I chose to follow and I didn't have any issues with my SPS.

There probably are people who either just add them full time to their setups or ramp them up quicker, but I wasn't in a rush and I wanted to guarantee I would bleach/brown out any of my coral.

I did not lower the intensity of my LEDS initially. Once the full photoperiod was established, I lowered my whites a bit to achieve the color temperature I was after.

OP
OP
SpikeWire

SpikeWire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris,

As you've probably read, it's a lot easier to add T5s to LEDS than the other way around. I didn't have a Par meter when I added my T5s, so I simply started with them on for 60 minutes the first day and slowly ramped them up an hour a week (actually, my photoperiod increased by 9 minutes a day). There were a few threads on here and RC where people did similar without issues, so that's the schedule I chose to follow and I didn't have any issues with my SPS.

There probably are people who either just add them full time to their setups or ramp them up quicker, but I wasn't in a rush and I wanted to guarantee I would bleach/brown out any of my coral.

I did not lower the intensity of my LEDS initially. Once the full photoperiod was established, I lowered my whites a bit to achieve the color temperature I was after.
Hey thanks so much for the response. You and I are of the same mindset. I'm not in a rush either so a slow cautious approach like yours is what I'm aiming for. A slow introduction and just sit back and see how they react. Much appreciated!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back