T5 lighting question

Gswink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!! I will be upgrading from a 75 gallon to an 180 72x24x24. On my 75 I'm running an ati 48" 6 bulb fixture. I love my t5s but would a 48" work on a 72" would it be sufficient or should I get a 60" 8 bulb t5. I didnt have plans to get a tank this big lol couldn't pass up the deal. Was going to do a nsa aquascape but was thinking about doing a 4.5 to 5 foot aquacape because of the fixture but the ends would be dark not very lit. Maybe low light corals on both ends. Not sure how a 4ft fixture would look on a 6ft tank... Thanks in advance!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the 60" fixture.

T5's aren't like LEDS. I don't think the ends would be as low light as you think they would be. If you were using LEDS, I would say your looking at low light on the sides, but with T5's, yes the par would drop off, but I don't think it would be that significant.

Think more of a blanket of light, rather then the spot light effect.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gswink

Gswink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the 60" fixture.

T5's aren't like LEDS. I don't think the ends would be as low light as you think they would be. If you were using LEDS, I would say your looking at low light on the sides, but with T5's, yes the par would drop off, but I don't think it would be that significant.

Think more of a blanket of light, rather then the spot light effect.

Thank you I was thinking about the 60" fixture then was like maybe i could get away with using the 48" lol.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do the 48, but supplement it with kessils on the end or something along those lines.

If I were to personally setup another lighting option, it would be an LED/T5 combo. Something like the aquaticlife fixture. Best of both worlds.

I'm 100% convinced you can't pull the colors from acro's with MH/T5's. Those crazy colors require LED's, and having both in one lighting fixture would be the cats butt.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 48" 6 bulb on a 125 (only 18" wide). It works fine. Just don't put Acropora on the outside. The outside of my tank has GSP, Euphyllia, Lobophyllia, Acans, Platygyra, zoas....I'm probably forgetting something.

My tank is in the wall, so you don't see the fixture anyway, and you can't really tell by looking at the tank. The 60" fixture would be better, but I haven't been able to justify it to myself.

Upvote 0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I know 60" works well over 72" tank but why worry prematurely. Get the 6 foot tank, throw a 48" fixture on it and see give it few weeks, you can always upgrade later if you find you're not getting sufficient light which I doubt you will have that problem.

I'm in a similar situation, and I know I'll be fine. I have an 82" tank coming and I'm going to use the 60" powemodule to light it. I have zero worries that it will cover my tank, perhaps the added bonus/benefit will be less algae film on the side panes.

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back