T5 Lighting Type on Hybrid LED T5HO Unit for SPS Growth.

What color combo of T5's would you run in your Hybrid T5/LED Unit?

• Blue Plus

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Coral Plus

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Purple Plus

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • True Actinic 03

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Aquablue Special

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Jeremy Chatham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting an aquatic life t5ho / led hybrid fixture. 48" long.
48_hybrid_square-21164.jpg

I will be running two XR30s and it has places for (4) t5ho bulbs.
(2) on each side of the LEDs
What combination of T5HOs should I run????
Preferably 2 in the front of unit are the same as the 2 in the rear of the unit.
This will hopefully supplement the Radion 30s Gen 3s so I can grow SPS in my 120 gallon.
(24"x48" footprint)

My options are all from BulkReefSupply.
Names and Color spectrums are below:
T5 ATI BluePlus
204333-t5-ati-blue-plus-a.jpg

T5 ATI Coral Plus
204330-t5-ati-coral-plusl-a.jpg

T5 ATI Purple Plus
204336-t5-ati-purple-plus-a.jpg

True Actinic 03
204339-t5-ati-true-actinic-03-a.jpg

T5 ATI Aquablue Special
204330-t5-ati-aquablue-special-a.jpg

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good timing for me here - I just recently started my 180g recovery and I have a setup with 6x RapidLED pucks (comparable to 3x xr30 Radions, essentially). I just installed 2x Giesemann 60" 2x80w retrofit fixtures for a total of the 6 LED pucks and 4x80w T5. I like a whiter look to my tank, but not quite yellow, just 'crisp'. I REALLY want to have some shimmer during the day, which the T5's make difficult when they are on. So my idea has been to run very actinic/blue/purple lights (so not white/ab special) and use the LED's for most of the white and a little blue to preference. This way I will get the PAR/PUR in the less visually-perceptible ranges so the T5's appear darker and the whites/blues from the LED's create the contrasting shimmer effects.

On to the question at hand - I'm going to be using 2x Coral Plus and 2x True Actinic for the T5 side of things. Then I use the LED's to fill in the rest - I can add whites to warm it up significantly (and increases shimmer) and blues are still there if I need to further even it out to increase PAR but not get too warm. I'm probably not even going to use the red/green channels, assuming all is healthy, to eliminate all of the disco effect.

I'd show a pic today but due to a shipping mix-up I received 2x Aquablue Special instead of the 2x Coral Plus, so I only have 2x Actinic until tomorrow when the replacement Coral Plus bulbs arrive. Based on the look with the 2x Aquablue Specials (just too white) I think the Coral Plus/Actinic Combo is going to be really nice (again, because you can warm it up a ton with the LED's and get the byproduct of shimmer).

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of, and get good results with, the Blue+ & Aquablue Special combo. One of each in the front and one of each in the back. But I don’t like an overly blue tank. If you like the blue look, plenty of people use just Blue+.

OP
OP
Jeremy Chatham

Jeremy Chatham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good timing for me here - I just recently started my 180g recovery and I have a setup with 6x RapidLED pucks (comparable to 3x xr30 Radions, essentially). I just installed 2x Giesemann 60" 2x80w retrofit fixtures for a total of the 6 LED pucks and 4x80w T5. I like a whiter look to my tank, but not quite yellow, just 'crisp'. I REALLY want to have some shimmer during the day, which the T5's make difficult when they are on. So my idea has been to run very actinic/blue/purple lights (so not white/ab special) and use the LED's for most of the white and a little blue to preference. This way I will get the PAR/PUR in the less visually-perceptible ranges so the T5's appear darker and the whites/blues from the LED's create the contrasting shimmer effects.

On to the question at hand - I'm going to be using 2x Coral Plus and 2x True Actinic for the T5 side of things. Then I use the LED's to fill in the rest - I can add whites to warm it up significantly (and increases shimmer) and blues are still there if I need to further even it out to increase PAR but not get too warm. I'm probably not even going to use the red/green channels, assuming all is healthy, to eliminate all of the disco effect.

I'd show a pic today but due to a shipping mix-up I received 2x Aquablue Special instead of the 2x Coral Plus, so I only have 2x Actinic until tomorrow when the replacement Coral Plus bulbs arrive. Based on the look with the 2x Aquablue Specials (just too white) I think the Coral Plus/Actinic Combo is going to be really nice (again, because you can warm it up a ton with the LED's and get the byproduct of shimmer).
So all that said... Which 2 bulbs are you recommending for me?

EricGRIT09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So all that said... Which 2 bulbs are you recommending for me?

I think ultimately you will need to make your own choice based on preference but if my stated preferences align with yours then you can use the bulbs I mentioned in my post and the poll - 2x Coral Plus and 2x Actinic.

For me I already have a very strong blue channel on the LED's and adding any Blue Plus to the T5's was very overpowering on the "Windex" factor.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hung my hybrid 2 weeks ago. I like it. I have the 60. I put my AI 52hd in. I put a coral plus on the outsides, 1 purple and one blue plus. I have an actinic bulb also but not tried it yet. I am using my hydra for the deeper blues and violet.

Still new so have no opinion on growth yet. I do like the white-color of the coral bulbs. Not a fan of the windex look.

8AA1A5AB-5796-48C6-BDF2-1CA31479D277.jpeg

052AAD1B-3990-434A-9779-F7ADA263063F.jpeg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back