T5 or led

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix them up I have timers on my t5 and a led run both have a deep tank it's a 50 gal tall and I have no prob the t5 are stronger in my opinion but the LEDs have a vast Color spectrum the greens and reds I have them both and my tank loves it

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get them
They came with a retrokit I bought from a local reefer. I actually had them for about a year before installing them, I was like you and tired of my corals not growing or looking like I felt they should be. I think the new lights actually shocked my healthy looking anemone though because it split into 3 last night.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run LED only and get good growth and color and nothing closes up when the lights come on. I run 2 16" fixtures 8" off the water. I would wager there is more at play that the lights.

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my T247 8" above a JBJ 30 and my settings are 70% Blue and 15% white. It took me about 2 months to work my way up to those settings (I had a Orbit Marine Pro before at max settings before). The T247 is a VERY powerful light (especially the white channel) and it took some time to get things acclimated, but I have great growth! I will eventually get to around 90% / 20% (or I will stop when the corals tell me to!) I like the idea of T5 supplementation, but I haven't seen a fixture that would keep the clean look of the rimless. I am looking forward to nanobox's hybrid light! It looks pretty sweet and I would love to see one in action when it becomes available.

Luvs501s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the Ocean Revives Matt and add T5 supplements.

91bde088743de2117a836fe7b496a837.jpg

It'll grow anything. Here's my tank with just those lights.

Sweet tank! By any chance is your Tabling Acro a Gregg Caroll Ultimate Efflo.., either way it's beautiful.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 3 Radions over a 180. I love the lights overall, however they cast a decent shadow even with wide angle lenses (which I have) not a problem for LPS or Softies but branching SPS will shade themselves. When I upgrade my tank to a 48" cube I am going to add one more Radion and about 4-6 48" T5 bulbs as supplement. I'd say for cost upfront, go with T5. I would go with all T5 on my next set-up but it'll cost about the same to replace my light fixtures completely with T5 VS LED + T5 supplement.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank! By any chance is your Tabling Acro a Gregg Caroll Ultimate Efflo.., either way it's beautiful.
Thanks Luvs501s!

If you're talking about the giant one on the right, front of the tank, that's an ORA Chips acro. The ultimate Effllo is truly nice but I haven't picked that one up yet.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FarmerTy's tank is a great testament to what you can achieve with affordable LEDs. However...don't forget he's a very experienced reefer who knows his tank very well and has basically nailed every other aspect of the hobby down, so your results may not be the same as his.

At the very least...adding 2-4 T5HO bulbs to your LEDs will give you dramatic results with growth and color. I prefer purely lit T5HO for my own tank, because of the simplicity involved. To me it is worth the cost of bulbs. But for that reason alone. Evidence is out there that you can achieve spectacular results with those specific lights you have. I think adding some T5HO will definitely help though. Absolutely zero harm in doing so, only benefit.

PNuke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS didn't start growing/encrusting until I switched from Radions to ATI T5's. I tried LEDs for 8 months and just couldn't get it right. I've seen some amazing tanks with just LEDs, I just couldn't get it right.

OP
OP
MonsterReef

MonsterReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got My t5 in how long do you run them each day. Do I run them all day with blues and whites or just with the whites how do you do it

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran all T5 bulbs with the LEDs starting with just a couple hours a day and then slowly ramped them up to about 6 hrs/day with my LEDs.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think T5s are still superior to LEDs at the moment if only because it can be very difficult to tune LEDs, but combining them is an easy way to improve your setup. Especially if you already have an LED fixture like the OceanRevives.

I'd highly recommend supplementing the OR T247 with a few T5 tubes if you can.

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think T5s are still superior to LEDs at the moment if only because it can be very difficult to tune LEDs, but combining them is an easy way to improve your setup. Especially if you already have an LED fixture like the OceanRevives.

I'd highly recommend supplementing the OR T247 with a few T5 tubes if you can.

Chibils, 100% agree!

Just to catch you up, the OP already bought the T5s and was asking how long should he run them.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back