T5 or LED ?

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m completely new to Salt Water so that’s why the title of this thread sounds so basic. But I’m tryna switch my FOWLR tank to a reef tank. It’s a 20g long (30”) and I was thinking of buying a coralife t5 light that’s 30”. Do y’all recommend this light ( the guy I’m buying from is only selling it $50 preowned) or should I buy a new led light. Also to note I’m on a strict budget so I can’t go out and buy an expensive fancy light like I want.

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your concluding statement answered your question for you lol. Can’t go wrong with T5 especially if it’s your only option.
I mean there’s some cheap leds out there from like 70- 100 bucks that got some good reviews, but I just don’t know if corals grow better with leds or T5 , idk if that makes sense lol

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is that T5 bulbs need to be replaced every so often

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean there’s some cheap leds out there from like 70- 100 bucks that got some good reviews, but I just don’t know if corals grow better with leds or T5 , idk if that makes sense lol
I have 3 360xs but over a 6’ tank so I’m under lit and I have a mixed reef doing excellent even montiporas doing great and growing some acros but I’m really supposed to have like 2 more but I’m planning on adding aquatic life and going hybrid so I lose the shading. So it boils down to what you’re goi g to keep. That t5 fixture will let you grow anything but there is bulb replacement. And a cheap led light grow softies and some lps but prolly not sps so y gotta weigh all that out too.

OP
OP
T

Texasfishkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 360xs but over a 6’ tank so I’m under lit and I have a mixed reef doing excellent even montiporas doing great and growing some acros but I’m really supposed to have like 2 more but I’m planning on adding aquatic life and going hybrid so I lose the shading. So it boils down to what you’re goi g to keep. That t5 fixture will let you grow anything but there is bulb replacement. And a cheap led light grow softies and some lps but prolly not sps so y gotta weigh all that out too.
Is there a difference than freshwater t5 and reef t5 just asking because the guy selling it said he used it for his freshwater and it’s a coral life bulb and fixture

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I currently use Mars Aqua which is a black box led on my 75g and it is really amazing for the price. My acros are growing fast and encrusting.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I put a black box on my 20g do you think I’ll have algae problems?
You can always turn it down if you want to avoid algae. I actually had a 29g tank last year with Mars Aqua led and I never got algae problems. Just remember to use more blues than whites.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main question you (OP) need to decide is, what do you want to keep? If you don’t know what corals you want to keep, I’d recommend starting with the easy and less demanding zoanthids and soft corals. If that’s the case, a mars aqua or an ocean revive light would do well.

I like T5s. The only problem is that the only company that makes 30” T5s is Coralvue, and thear T5s aren’t that good. The 36” or even 24” T5s are better, in that several companies with very good reef lighting (like ATI) make T5s in those lengths. That being said, this should not matter for corals. Another question with the T5s is what spectrum are the bulbs; Coralife makes some OK reef spectrum bulbs but be sure taht’s what this guy is giving you. The reef spectrum bulb should be OK for soft corals and zoanthids.

That said, I’m fond of this line of LEDs. The manufacturer claims they have enough light, in the right quantity, for any coral. So I might get 1-2 of them, depending on your budget. They have a very good blue coloration, IME, and this option also gives you a whiter one that you can tweak as you like.

Note that with any light you can’t use a standard freshwater tank cover because the black strip in the middle will block the light; you’ll either need a custom one (basically a properly sized piece of clear glass) or go either without a cover or with a mesh cover.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back