T5/SPS LIGHTING

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher end materials? The reflectors are both alanod Miro silver. The ballasts are both programmed start with same ballast factor. The only difference is that the Gies has a shinier shell yet it still doesn't hold a candle to an ATI Powermodule which is made of 100% extruded aluminum.

The reflectors on the Gies are 30% weaker than the quasi parabolic of the sunpower and even worse when compared to the full parabolic of the powermodule. Giesemann chose to go the cheap route with it yet charge a premium.

Not only have owners on rc done par tests on the Gies but also temperature tests and bulbs get way too hot past the optimal T5 operating temperature.

Light that’s reflected back at the tube with parabolic reflector can increase its working temperature which is not the case with specular reflector and light is more spread reason with you loose on PAR readings on the Matrixx.

Did you already saw a Giesmann Matrixx II in front of you ??
The Matrixx is a much better looking fixture with a tick anodized aluminum frame fixture with Twin Layer Powder Coat Finish with passive glass cooling, it is not just a piece of bent aluminum like the ATI.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light that’s reflected back at the tube with parabolic reflector can increase its working temperature which is not the case with specular reflector and light is more spread reason with you loose on PAR readings on the Matrixx.

Did you already saw a Giesmann Matrixx II in front of you ??
The Matrixx is a much better looking fixture with a tick anodized aluminum frame fixture with Twin Layer Powder Coat Finish with passive glass cooling, it is not just a piece of bent aluminum like the ATI.

I know and from owning the matrix that if you take the splashguuard off PAR will increase over 100 PAR at the water's surface. To me that's a pretty clear display of insufficient cooling. I still wouldnt trade it for a ATI because they look like do do and my tank is a display for people to see and I want it to look good.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that's a pretty clear display of insufficient cooling.

Like this was already explain earlier in 2009 !!!

As you can see the Matrixx is made to run at 35c at 100%...so there is any insufficient cooling.

Lab Test run
Diagramm%20T5%2039%20W.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like this was already explain earlier in 2009 !!!

As you can see the Matrixx is made to run at 35c at 100%...so there is any insufficient cooling.

Lab Test run
Diagramm%20T5%2039%20W.jpg
Every real world test shows otherwise. Many tests show the bulbs running up into the 140's faranheit. Check out the RC thread where people aren't even seeing 500 PAR at the surface.

This sounds like the Geisemann rep that I talked to years ago. They denied every real world experience as well.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every real world test shows otherwise. Many tests show the bulbs running up into the 140's faranheit. Check out the RC thread where people aren't even seeing 500 PAR at the surface.

This sounds like the Geisemann rep that I talked to years ago. They denied every real world experience as well.

Considering what he posted is basically the standard T5 lumen/temp curve which is everywhere it's quite suspect. There is no denying the cooling on that fixture is atrocious. They could have ditched the splash guard and been in a much better situation.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I where to do it again I'd run a 8 bulb fixture with 2 of the bulbs being E5 blue pop and dont bother with a the t5 dimmable fixtures They put out less PAR at max, like 10-15% less.
I have one, and this is absolutely true. Also, despite ATI's claims, all of their bulbs are not equal as far as growing acros is concerned. Most of my acros prefer the aqua blue special with the actinic. I also just added a KZ 10,oooK bulb, which is very bright (I don't have a PAR meter, but in footcandles it puts out a thousand more than the aqua blue special.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Strange because David Saxby one of the most famous private aquarium confirmed at that time that the fixture was running at 35c over is tank. And there is some difference between lab and real world like you said but there is also a lot more possibilities for errors in real world to.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a peninsula I'd do two blues they really make the corals look much better. I tried an E5 blue pop bulb and honestly I couldnt really tell the difference between it and a normal T5 blue plus. The color was slightly different but it didnt produce any more light. I think the selling point of the E5 is how long they last compared to a T5.

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a peninsula I'd do two blues they really make the corals look much better. I tried an E5 blue pop bulb and honestly I couldnt really tell the difference between it and a normal T5 blue plus. The color was slightly different but it didnt produce any more light. I think the selling point of the E5 is how long they last compared to a T5.

Thanks
The more I read about the E5 bulbs the more I am leaning to the reefbrites blues.
I'm not sure yet on getting the HO's or the cheaper version. I'm not sure if I'll need the high output if I'll have the ATI 8x80. But my tank is deep (30") so it's up in the air at this point.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 8 bulb Ati dimmable. It's capable of around 200 par at the bottom. As far as t5s go it really is a nice fixture. I'm not running it full strength either.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, and this is absolutely true. Also, despite ATI's claims, all of their bulbs are not equal as far as growing acros is concerned. Most of my acros prefer the aqua blue special with the actinic. I also just added a KZ 10,oooK bulb, which is very bright (I don't have a PAR meter, but in footcandles it puts out a thousand more than the aqua blue special.
why would you need more then what it's able to produce? I don't get it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/par-to-lux-conversion-real-world-t5-numbers.281126/

OP
OP
haanstang

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly just wanted the additional leds for my dusk to dawn effect and the minimal shimmer I will get within them. Not for more output.
But my tank is rather deep at 30" so that's why I was up in the air between the two different reefbrite blues as far as the higher power or lower power.
And also the ATI fixture I was looking at isn't available as a dimmable model for the 60"
I would like to have the option to dim the T-5 bulbs but not really wanting two 36" fixtures just because of the bulb cost.
I am undecided expect that I know I want T-5s with led accents

johnwick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb ATI non dimmable. It's run without issue for 4 years and I love it. I have two actinics come on an hour before the mains and stay on an hour later. As far as my bulbs, I have experimented with several. My current setup is: 2 blue plus, 2 actinic, 2 coral plus, 1 aquablue special, 1 purple plus. Next time I'm going to add 2 additional blue plus and skip the actinics. You'll love the fixture due to the reliability, active cooling and superior reflectors. As others have debated regarding heat, cool bulbs are Happy bulbs and these things run cool.

johnwick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, ATI has a section on their website that lists people's favorite bulb combinations. That's what I'm going to. Either way, I've gotten great growth no matter what I've chosen.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back