T5 will not disappear!

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Here the link to the video from ati Germany. The says that aquaristic t5 are not concerned from the legislation that say that t5 must be stopped. So the production is still allowed and also the production is already forecasted for the next 4 years. Then later in the future it will depend on the demand, if there is still demand they will continue to be produced, if not enough people wants it then one day probably it will be stopped. Actually the demand is still good.

So people telling you to buy led because it will soon no more be available are misleading you because they want to sell you expensive products .

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot to include the link to the video but yeah, that’s been apart of the original legislation from the start.
People just can’t bother to research.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After coming back to the hobby and being their when leds came out...I went back to t5
D
This, I started with T8's in the late 90's on my own tank and went full circle 25 years later, back to T5's For the most part the LED's didn't do it for me.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, I started with T8's in the late 90's on my own tank and went full circle 25 years later, back to T5's For the most part the LED's didn't do it for me.
Compact florescent when I started in the 90’s

I tried a softie tank with mh bulbs but as a teenager I was asked to switch bulbs to something more cost efficient

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really couldn't be bothered to change out bulbs every 6 months anymore.
Also, while LEDs are more expensive short term, after 3 years the cost is equal and from then your investment gets cheaper and cheaper.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compact florescent when I started in the 90’s

I tried a softie tank with mh bulbs but as a teenager I was asked to switch bulbs to something more cost efficient
Ahhh cfl bulbs! My 1st tank on my own wasn't even that, incandescent bulbs. Two 40 watters, one blue & one white.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh cfl bulbs! My 1st tank on my own wasn't even that, incandescent bulbs. Two 40 watters, one blue & one white.
Those were the good ole days .

insufficient lights , poor coral selection but … $20 fish

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were the good ole days .

insufficient lights , poor coral selection but … $20 fish
Total get off my lawn moment... Just picked up a pair of maroon clowns, a lyretail anthias and a green Kenya tree frag, 115$. I about had a heart attack yesterday, with the prices. My last pair of maroon clowns were 25 bucks for both in 2017. They were 25 bucks a piece yesterday.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also gone almost full circle....

T5 are still best light source, you simply cant go wrong, no matter what, choose bulb combo that looks best for you, and whatever you choose, it will be great.

Today led manufacturers races each other to offer insane amount of customization level, and tinkering with them often produces poor results.

Maybe one day someone will produce led light with simplicity, that unit gives that amount of light, on that dimensions, that preset give xy par, other give yx, you can make it look more blue, red, white, green, lime, but u will newer be able to gone into wrong spectrum or intensity....

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't some still manufacture t12 bulbs for tanning beds?.. why would specialty t5 lighting be different?
Yup, you can still get bulbs (mainly NOS), magnetic ballast are just about extinct and the electronic ballast isn't far behind. Usual applications like interior lighting was converted to T8 years ago or to LED's.

SindoCanales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been in the hobby long enough to have gone through the cycles but one thing I have learned so far is that while LEDS give you the power in a small compact way it also takes away by that I mean when you have t5 (which I have both) you get a much even spread and coloration. Not to mention the fact that now LED manufacturers for example radions have become like an iPhone every year a new fixture with a tiny change but a big price increase, for nothing since the last 5 generations seem to work but I guess it’s all business. As for t5 leaving the market I highly doubt that, in my community of friends there has been a shift from die hard led users to Hyrbid systems once they see kne running. I feel like the hybrid system is gaining more followers which would also mean more t5 sales.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Here the link to the video from ati Germany. The says that aquaristic t5 are not concerned from the legislation that say that t5 must be stopped. So the production is still allowed and also the production is already forecasted for the next 4 years. Then later in the future it will depend on the demand, if there is still demand they will continue to be produced, if not enough people wants it then one day probably it will be stopped. Actually the demand is still good.

So people telling you to buy led because it will soon no more be available are misleading you because they want to sell you expensive products .
What specific legislation are you referring to? Different countries will approach the issue in different ways and even if Germany continues to produce aquarium t5 lighting, other countries may ban the import of them. In Australia, reptile incandescent lights were banned along with all speciality incandescents even though they are highly efficient as heat lamps (certainly more so than halogen, which replaced them).

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back