Taking care of the underwater workers: Do you directly feed your clean-up crew?

Do you directly feed your clean-up crew?

• I regularly feed directly to my cleanup crew.

Votes: 37 11.5%
  • I occasionally feed directly to my cleanup crew.

Votes: 77 23.8%
  • I rarely feed directly to my cleanup crew.

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • I never feed directly to my cleanup crew.

Votes: 161 49.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Taking care of the underwater workers: Do you directly feed your clean-up crew?

Cleanup crew – you get them, acclimate them, let them loose in the tank, and they do their thing. Occasionally we may stop and look at a weird thing that they are doing and wonder how much longer it will take them to take care of the algae, but for the most part they are not an area of focus, and they just do their thing without notice or fanfare. The cleanup crew is replenished occasionally, and that is largely the extent of their care after the initial acclimation. Many consider the algae, detritus, and other stuff that has collected on the bottom of the tank enough. Do you directly feed your cleanup crew? Let us know your thoughts about directly feeding the cleanup crew in the related discussion.

Boacvh_Hermit.jpeg

Photo by @boacvh

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, occasionally when there is visually little algae present. Nori rubber banded to a rock for my urchin and algae wafers for the rest. Unfortunately, no need to supplement currently.
Do you do a full sheet of Nori or half? Does it pollute the tank or does the urchin eventually find it and eat it all?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When creeps comes out looking for food I will give him a full cube. My chocolate chip star when at the water surface I will targer feed him as well.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take extra care to ensure my inverts are fed. My blue legs get a hikari algae wafer every 8-10 days, my conch gets a 1x1 sheet of nori (splits it with the emerald crab who is a jerk) and my nassarius snails get leftover frozen food. My skunk cleaner wants regularly as it steals food from the corals when I feed. Inverts are cheap but so am I, i want them to be as happy as possible and live as long as possible. The photo is from like 8 months ago, but I take muster of my hermits when I drop the wafer in. Here they are at the buffet

Attachments

• IMG_4783.jpeg
    IMG_4783.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 86

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't actively feeding them rather defeat the purpose of them as clean-up :)?

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a margarita snail and he just eats my diatoms. When that is gone, I plan on feeding it some algae wafers

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends on what the Cleanup crew is - I like watching crabs etc - catching things - I don't particularly care about snails eating algae. Second - many of these can survive longer periods with no food - so I don't worry about that. So - I say - no I don't feed my CUC - since my tank bioload with the food I add daily should feed entirely my CUC. Thats the definition of a CUC - they remove excess ......

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dont but have on occasion feed a emerald crab and a coral banded shrimp but I guess the shrimp doesn't count as a cuc member!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back