Tang acting cazy!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I has to put my yellow tang in a 29 gallon temporarily while I moved and he did something similar. Would swim from one side of the tank to the other really fast and would accelerate and decelerate, like his throttle was stuck or hitting a limited but wanted more speed. When he went in my display he acted fine again, so if it is the same behavior I am going to say it is related to the small tank size.

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little blue did much of what your describing when I first got her in, she was about the same size and not only darted from side to side but would swim in a corner...up about four inches then back down over and over again. ( she was in a 55g QT so she had plenty of space )

I found two things: 1: She would start this process if I got too close to the tank or flipped the light on in the room ( would take her hours to calm back down ) and....

2. After some trial and error I found that by setting up more than one PVC pipe and placing it longways up less than a half inch from the side of the tank helped her to hide. Being what seems typical of the blue, she was most comfortable when she had somewhere that she could wedge herself between and flop slightly on her side.

I didn't see her much for the first few weeks but once she got comfortable with all the changes, the light going on and off in the room and me coming and going she settled in. Yours sounds very much like what mine was doing. I'm betting stress.

OP
OP
C

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little blue did much of what your describing when I first got her in, she was about the same size and not only darted from side to side but would swim in a corner...up about four inches then back down over and over again. ( she was in a 55g QT so she had plenty of space )

I found two things: 1: She would start this process if I got too close to the tank or flipped the light on in the room ( would take her hours to calm back down ) and....

2. After some trial and error I found that by setting up more than one PVC pipe and placing it longways up less than a half inch from the side of the tank helped her to hide. Being what seems typical of the blue, she was most comfortable when she had somewhere that she could wedge herself between and flop slightly on her side.

I didn't see her much for the first few weeks but once she got comfortable with all the changes, the light going on and off in the room and me coming and going she settled in. Yours sounds very much like what mine was doing. I'm betting stress.

That sounds just like mine, I tuned off the main light and am just running the actinics now, there is a large piece of pvc but I could put in another one. I also noticed today a few white spots, so I'm stating hypo today.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back