Tang Behavior Post QT

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Tomoni Tang and Leartail Anthias in QT. During QT, they both were treated with Prazipro (2 doses 7 days apart, 1 dose at end of Cupramine period), Metroplex (14 days in food with Focus, Vitality, and Selcon), and Cupramine for 30 days. The Tang exhibited lateral line disease when he went into QT. This fully cleared with vitamin rich foods and increase of salinity. The Tang also twitched and darted frequently. The Anthias had internal parasites with white stringing poop. During the last week of Cupramine, I noticed more twitching from the Tang and some scratching from the Anthias. I administered 1 additional dose of Prazipro.

Both fish look good, eating well, and pooping normally.

I did an 80% water change, added carbon, and have been observing the fish behavior. The Anthias is behaving normally. The Tang is darting around the tank and still twitching the dorsal fin occasionally. Unsure if I should move them to the DT after the week. May still be to early to tell, but concerned about potential of resistant flukes or something worse. Most importantly, not gambling with the DT.

Options I have read about include fresh water dips. Not sure how to do the properly. Any instruction would be helpful. Before I do that, I want to be sure it is necessary. I’ll post a video of the Tang. Maybe this is normal. It is only a small 12 gallon tank, not suitable for Tangs.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a FW dip to check for flukes. It is more stressful for you the first time than the fish. Here is a thread with instructions in a proper FW dip(5 min).
If you find flukes again you can try another round of Prazipro or fenbendazole is gentile on fish also. Fenbendazole is treated with a 12 hour bath and typically one and done.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go grab a black molly from a local fish store (they are sold as freshwater fish and you should buy a freshwater variety).

Given they are freshwater and have no immunity to marine velvet and ich and are black, you'll see if either of those diseases above are still present.

If you are worried about flukes and the fish are healthy enough for a freshwater dip, I'd recommend that.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to starting with a freshwater dip. Also, if you can manage a video of the behavior to post, that could be helpful.

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay on the video. Took a while to get set-up on YouTube. You can see the Tomini Tang twitch every now and then. Hard to notice as he is darting around the tank a lot, but the dorsal fin will twitch when he is stationary. You might notice it when the Tang eats algae off the PVC pipe.

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am heating the RO/DI water for a fresh water dip. Will attempt the dip later this evening, when I can easily transfer him in the PVC tube. Will the small amount of salt water in the PVC tube be ok to add to the fresh water or should I pour it out before adding. Also, I was only going to dip the Tang, not disturb the Anthias. I reason that if the Tang has flukes, then I can just assume the Anthias does as well.

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, completed the 5 minute fresh water dip. Tang did pretty well, not much of a reaction during the dip. The heater releases some precipitate in the black bucket making it a little difficult to identify any flukes during the process. I observed the fish closely through the dip and did not see anything float off the fish or whiten on the fish. I then collected all the debris in the bucket and examined it under a magnifying glass, nothing but precipitate. So I would say no to flukes. The Tang was returned to the QT tank. After settling in, started swimming around a bit and still appears to be twitching occasionally.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I see anything grossly abnormal with the tang. Definitely not the head shaking or flashing that happens with parasite affliction. It may just be anxious after what it has been through. Is it eating normally? Looks to be pecking at the PVC with gusto. Go with your gut, though. If you think something is amiss, don't rush the fish in to the DT, and continue to observe.

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely skittish. Eating well. Much more active since receiving unmediated clean water. I think I am going to continue to observe for the remainder of the week. Might be due to the small unnatural tank environment, stressing the fish making it nervous.

Lazydaze73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like my tomini in qt right now. My tomini is very skittish too. Hides anytime I come near the tank. But yours looks healthy to me.

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the fish into the display tank today. The Tang still appears to twitch the dorsal fin. Decided that it is likely nervousness as the fish is skittish. Also, the Anthias has shown no signs of ich or velvet and no flukes after the fresh water dip. Hopefully I am making the right call on this one

OP
OP
Popcorndog

Popcorndog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, the Tang has adapted well to the display tank and twitching subsided. Initial signs of lateral line quickly went away a couple days later. Thanks for everyone’s perspective.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • D/C

Votes: 61 64.2%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 13.7%
Back