Tang twitching

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new purple tang and powered blue tang. Both are in qt and currently doing TTM. The pbt is eating but purple is not. Only day 1 so no biggie…

But i notice the purple is twitching a lot. See video. Is this normal or he has some parasite?

Will do prazi tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6857.mov
    62.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
125mph Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just got a new purple tang and powered blue tang. Both are in qt and currently doing TTM. The pbt is eating but purple is not. Only day 1 so no biggie…

But i notice the purple is twitching a lot. See video. Is this normal or he has some parasite?

Will do prazi tomorrow.
From what I can tell and not unusual, the purple appears to be intimidated by its reflection. Lowering the light intensity may change the behavior and confirm the reflection as an issue. I was expecting darting or scratching as an issue but none seen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will do prazi tomorrow.
Fin flicking is a sign of flukes. If you run prazi, you’ll need to ensure the tank has good aeration from an air stone, the powerhead pointed at the surface isn’t breaking the surface tension well enough. You should dose prazi twice, 8 days apart.

Also, bear in mind that if you start prazi first, with PBT being so ich prone, that can crop up and will need to be dealt with using copper.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin flicking is a sign of flukes. If you run prazi, you’ll need to ensure the tank has good aeration from an air stone, the powerhead pointed at the surface isn’t breaking the surface tension well enough. You should dose prazi twice, 8 days apart.

Also, bear in mind that if you start prazi first, with PBT being so ich prone, that can crop up and will need to be dealt with using copper.

Looks like I dimmed the lights and he stop twitching. He started eating too.

I'm running a fluval filter (with nothing in it) and the powerhead pointed straight up. The surface of the water is pretty aggitated. You think I still need an airstone?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I dimmed the lights and he stop twitching. He started eating too.

I'm running a fluval filter (with nothing in it) and the powerhead pointed straight up. The surface of the water is pretty aggitated. You think I still need an airstone?

An airstone won't hurt, powerheads often do not break the surface tension enough for proper gas exchange. You might want to consider dosing the tank with Prazipro, just to rule out flukes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back