Tang with Brown/Discolored Spots

ArnoldTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Tang and he's been in my tank for about 2 weeks now. He started getting discolored spots. I have done many google searches and can't seem to find a photo or description that exactly matches. I've seen that it could be ich, an infection or just from stress, so I thought I would just upload a photo and discuss my own tank for best answers. This is my first Tang so I'm still learning (so I'm sorry if this is obvious). If anyone has any idea what could be causing the spots I'd love the help in knowing where to start in treating it. I do water tests, water changes, added my fish very slowly, thought I was doing everything right. I just did a water change this week as I'm also having a sudden increase in brown algae. Not sure if they're related? Anyone able to help suggest treatment plans? Thanks so much!
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0648.PNG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Tang and he's been in my tank for about 2 weeks now. He started getting discolored spots. I have done many google searches and can't seem to find a photo or description that exactly matches. I've seen that it could be ich, an infection or just from stress, so I thought I would just upload a photo and discuss my own tank for best answers. This is my first Tang so I'm still learning (so I'm sorry if this is obvious). If anyone has any idea what could be causing the spots I'd love the help in knowing where to start in treating it. I do water tests, water changes, added my fish very slowly, thought I was doing everything right. I just did a water change this week as I'm also having a sudden increase in brown algae. Not sure if they're related? Anyone able to help suggest treatment plans? Thanks so much!
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0648.PNG
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This species gets discolored, darker skin when it is injured. The trick is figuring out what is causing the skin injury. Ich can do that, but I don’t think that is the case here. Being bitten by another fish can cause this, but that usually results in just a couple of marks on the fish. What other fish are in with it? Are the spots on both sides of the fish?
The most likely cause of this are gyrodactylus skin flukes. You can treat that with prazipro, dosed twice, 9 days apart with good aeration.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ArnoldTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This species gets discolored, darker skin when it is injured. The trick is figuring out what is causing the skin injury. Ich can do that, but I don’t think that is the case here. Being bitten by another fish can cause this, but that usually results in just a couple of marks on the fish. What other fish are in with it? Are the spots on both sides of the fish?
The most likely cause of this are gyrodactylus skin flukes. You can treat that with prazipro, dosed twice, 9 days apart with good aeration.
Jay
Yes the spots are all over. He is with two clowns, a dottyback, and a goby.
Other than the spots he was acting fine but today he is acting super lethargic and swimming like he is drunk.
Would I treat him in a separate tank or would this cause him too much stress since I don’t have a very large quarantine tank?

OP
OP
A

ArnoldTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the spots are all over. He is with two clowns, a dottyback, and a goby.
Other than the spots he was acting fine but today he is acting super lethargic and swimming like he is drunk.
Would I treat him in a separate tank or would this cause him too much stress since I don’t have a very large quarantine tank?
Also, would there be an alternative to prazipro that I can find easier at a pet store? I can order it but I'm not sure he'll make it long enough for me to get it in the mail.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would there be an alternative to prazipro that I can find easier at a pet store? I can order it but I'm not sure he'll make it long enough for me to get it in the mail.
You might look for a product called general cure, but it needs to be used in a treatment tank.
Fish diseases move pretty quickly, it may be too late to treat this tang. Do the other fish all look ok? You can sometimes buy a little time by giving a fish with flukes a 5 minute freshwater dip. Be forewarned though, you are describing the tang swimming weakly, it may be too far gone to survive a FW dip - sorry!
Jay

OP
OP
A

ArnoldTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might look for a product called general cure, but it needs to be used in a treatment tank.
Fish diseases move pretty quickly, it may be too late to treat this tang. Do the other fish all look ok? You can sometimes buy a little time by giving a fish with flukes a 5 minute freshwater dip. Be forewarned though, you are describing the tang swimming weakly, it may be too far gone to survive a FW dip - sorry!
Jay
Thank you for all your help! I agree it may be too far gone but I’ll see what I can do. Yes all the other fish are perfectly fine.

Back