Tang wont eat nori

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a brissletooth tang a few weeks ago. It constantly graises around plucking stuff but I wanted it to start eating nori. I went to the store and bought some dried nori with nothing on it. I first tried tying it down to a rock. Then tried putting garlic on it. Now I bought some emerald entree and it still won't grab any food I put in. It's eating all the algea on my rocks and sand bed and pooping a crap ton :). I just want it to eat what I give it as well. Any suggestions?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed mine the one that have garlic in it. Eventually he will eat

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it the nori you have is green? If so try purple nori. I've had several tangs that won't touch green nori. The purple nori they can't seem to resist. Red nori is hit or miss. Once they get hooked on purple nori then you can try to rotate green/red nori in to see if they prefer one over he other. Also you can try to soak the nori in selcon. I found that adding garlic is hit or miss also. Good luck.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed nori to my tangs, it's a mess and a pita. I include algae based foods and foods that contain algae in every feeding as well as supplements that address the needs of angels and tangs. If there's enough grazing, the algae he is getting from the tank will be better than dried nori. On a added note brissletooth tangs aren't known to be that susceptible to hlle, so I'm sure he'll be fine without nri.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus bristles are the least likely tangs to eat it. My Chevie never does.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Highgrade thanks man! I did exactly what you said and all the fish went nuts for it. The tang was slow at first but then really chowd down on the nori.
Thank you for all the responses

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Highgrade thanks man! I did exactly what you said and all the fish went nuts for it. The tang was slow at first but then really chowd down on the nori.
Thank you for all the responses
Glad to hear. I prefer to fold about a half a sheet of nori and cut small strips about 1/2 way up the folded piece. Then attach it to the clip on the side that is not cut. The nori seems to flow more naturally and the fish then can each take turns pulling of small strips rather that destroying one big chunk of nori thus making a big mess.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back