Tank crashes, what has been the root cause?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

I didn’t know turbo snails could crash a tank of one had a proper cuc. If they have several crabs, etc wouldn’t they just eat the slimy little buggers?.
No- they rot quickly and smell aweful

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with that statement. Guilty of trying to many things at once also then not know what the good, bad , or ugly was.
Jeff
Just crashed sps when trying to raise nitrates (mine are always undetectable).
So just took a decision i will NOT intervene with the tank anymore!!!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some causes:
Hitchhikers
Dinos
Chasing numbers
Dirty hands in tank
Foreign substances
Power outages
Doser failures (alk spikes, etc)
Tap water
High temperature
Faulty or failed heater
Introducing affected fish or coral
Overdosing
Stray voltage

Hello,

When I was injured I had a few times where I was out of rodi water and had to use tap water. Now it was in my 240 and maybe 2 gallons worth or 3
For a day or 2. I can see all the time but does it affect the tank if it’s just an emergency fill. Now I try and have five gallons of distilled water just in case (.which I don’t even know if that’s good or worse?.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

When I was injured I had a few times where I was out of rodi water and had to use tap water. Now it was in my 240 and maybe 2 gallons worth or 3
For a day or 2. I can see all the time but does it affect the tank if it’s just an emergency fill. Now I try and have five gallons of distilled water just in case (.which I don’t even know if that’s good or worse?.
When you add even 10 gallons to 240, which is I/24th, should have little to no impact

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No- they rot quickly and smell aweful

Hello;

During my days of medical school and doing human anatomy, dissecting a cadaver that is sooo much worse. I sorta have an instant reflex when it’s smell so I have to use scent oil under my nose. But dead turbos or just nasty critters when dead, they are slimy and smell popcorn that’s been in the microwave for
An hour.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the definition of a crash? Some use that term for any unpleasant occurrence in their tank, whether it be severe or not. o_O

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add even 10 gallons to 240, which is I/24th, should have little to no impact

Hello,

Omg lol my math skills are still dead on lol yay.
Guess that’s a good ting when I have to calculate medication for Ivs.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What is the definition of a crash? Some use that term for any unpleasant occurrence in their tank, whether it be severe or not. o_O
Mine is wipeout or near wipeout

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

The simplest way to describe a real crash is easy, imagine dumping 3 gallons of pure drano and gasoline in your tank, then stick some live wires in it and sit back with popcorn and watch. It’s where you pretty much lose everything and have to start over, not fun. At least the drano will clean all the over plumbing and pipes out :/

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello;

During my days of medical school and doing human anatomy, dissecting a cadaver that is sooo much worse. I sorta have an instant reflex when it’s smell so I have to use scent oil under my nose. But dead turbos or just nasty critters when dead, they are slimy and smell popcorn that’s been in the microwave for
An hour.
My daughter is doing cadavers right now and her first one of all things was a cat.
I remember that smell. When you left the room, your clothes smelled like it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

Omg lol my math skills are still dead on lol yay.
Guess that’s a good ting when I have to calculate medication for Ivs.
LOL ESPECIALLY BOLUSES

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter is doing cadavers right now and her first one of all things was a cat.
I remember that smell. When you left the room, your clothes smelled like it
Hello,

Yeahhhh umm no, it’s your car, house, entire wardrobe, everything around you smells like a dead cadaver (I guess it’s worse if they were alive, yikes), but when I graduated I threw everything away. It’s bad when you get food or something and people stare at you, and go yup that’s a medical student.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yeahhhh umm no, it’s your car, house, entire wardrobe, everything around you smells like a dead cadaver (I guess it’s worse if they were alive, yikes), but when I graduated I threw everything away. It’s bad when you get food or something and people stare at you, and go yup that’s a medical student.
Ah, maybe the stinky car valet on Seinfeld was a medical student by day! ;)

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, maybe the stinky car valet on Seinfeld was a medical student by day! ;)
Hello;

Nope this is way way worse, Seinfeld would have thrown up and sold the car. It’s really bad. It’s like pure formaldehyde air vented into your nose. Then after you wash your clothes it seems like the drier sheets were soaked in formaldehyde excessively. My poor parents had to suffer for a long time lol.

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had a three year old tank crash (i.e. mass coral die off), after taking out a large rock to remove a single piece of aiptasia. When I had the rock out, I thought it would be good to vacuum the sand bed. I regularly vacuumed the other parts of the sand bed but not under this rock. After that, my tank went downhill quickly. Zoas melted, mushrooms disintegrated, favities recessed and browned out, and GHA took over. I moved the coral to an established QT. Some survived. Many did not. I broke the tank down and started a bigger one!

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a three year old tank crash (i.e. mass coral die off), after taking out a large rock to remove a single piece of aiptasia. When I had the rock out, I thought it would be good to vacuum the sand bed. I regularly vacuumed the other parts of the sand bed but not under this rock. After that, my tank went downhill quickly. Zoas melted, mushrooms disintegrated, favities recessed and browned out, and GHA took over. I moved the coral to an established QT. Some survived. Many did not. I broke the tank down and started a bigger one!
Bare bottom this time i hope

jayisfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some causes:
Hitchhikers
Dinos
Chasing numbers
Dirty hands in tank
Foreign substances
Power outages
Doser failures (alk spikes, etc)
Tap water
High temperature
Faulty or failed heater
Introducing affected fish or coral
Overdosing
Stray voltage
I'm quite a newbie, in fact, all I have so far is the glass tank (90 gallon). Just the tank... nothing else. I've always wanted a marine tank but wanted to do it right when I did so I thought I would learn by joining a group (like this) and see what others did.

My question is just regarding the power issue. I'm in IT and we always tell our customers to purchase a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) to protect their investment. Wouldn't it be worth the $200 or so to get one so that you do not need to worry about that? It would keep it running for quite some time (at least 3 to 4 hours I would think if you purchased a 1450 W).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm quite a newbie, in fact, all I have so far is the glass tank (90 gallon). Just the tank... nothing else. I've always wanted a marine tank but wanted to do it right when I did so I thought I would learn by joining a group (like this) and see what others did.

My question is just regarding the power issue. I'm in IT and we always tell our customers to purchase a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) to protect their investment. Wouldn't it be worth the $200 or so to get one so that you do not need to worry about that? It would keep it running for quite some time (at least 3 to 4 hours I would think if you purchased a 1450 W).
Yes. I have battery backup and a generator

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back