Tank Crashing?

WRXgucci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this is the proper forum to post in, but I need to ask this asap.

Little background on my setup. I had a 45 Tall for around 6 months. This was my first tank, with hob overflow, VERY cheap skimmer that never filled the cup, 2 500gph powerheads, and a Nova Extreme Pro. I did not like the 45T look since it had little depth, but i never lost a coral unless it got knocked into the rock work and I could not get it out. I switched to two 40 breeders. I plumbed them in series so the one tank would overflow into the other, then into the sump. I switched to an algae turf scrubber to replace my skimmer which was not performing at all. I believe it is working great and gets decent algae every week. Each tank has 200w of t5 lighting. My top tank, the frag tank has more flow than my "display".

The start of the problem, was my heater dying and dropping to about 72-73 degrees for 1-2 days. This was 2-3 weeks ago. From that i did see a couple corals not like it. Also there was a huge hair algae spike when i did the switch. I read zero phosphates which I was instructed to turn off my lighting for three days. The algae was almost 100% erased which my ATS picked up quite a bit that week. Now I have tested, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and phosphates. The only thing i pick up is very little phosphate in the tank which I am purchasing a phosban to remove the phosphate.

I know these problems happening at the same time can be pretty dramatic on a tank, but it seems like my tank is getting worse, rather than better. I have mainly LPS, and softies for corals. The corals seem to all be gradually getting worse. I have picked out most of my LPS. My zoos are doing ok but i had a colony of one type, and half of them have dissappeared. I have a pair of clowns in each tank, yellow tang, mandarin, coral beauty in the display. I have not seen my coral beauty since these problems, so I can only imagine he has died and my shrimp got him. The rest of my fish used to be out all the time, and are all hiding in the back corner of the tank. I do have a decent sized Haddoni carpet which still seems to be doing great.

Any questions, comments, or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Gucci

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WRXgucci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just checked what tests i have, everything is unreadable except minor phosphates. The temp is at 77.5ish degrees it does fluctuate about a degree depending on day/night.

I have been doing smaller water changes, due to my ro breaking. i did just get a new one, but i have not been doing big water changes. Should i do some big water changes?

kron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say small water changes is that like 10 gallons? So, you have two 40g plus the sump ~ 70g Total system after subtracting the rock?

IMHO a big water change can't hurt.. In the past when my system was in decline, hair algae blooming all over, zoas closed and even the xenia was dying off I did two big water changes.

Day 1 - 50%
Day 2 - 50%
Day 3 - Added phosban to reactor and crossed the fingers.

It took about a week for everything to open back up but it worked.. What I found out later was I was overdosing my kalk and it was Nuking my system.

Thomas

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop with the small water changes and change a large amount like 20 gal or more. Then about 2-3 days later change another 20 . Then hope and pray. Go back to regular after these.......

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much agree with Captain Nemo. little water changes have a very dilute impact. A large turnover is what you need. In emergencies, its not a crime to use tap water either. Saving fishes and corals lives and dealing (maybe...if even) minor algae later if better than a tank of dead critters with pure source water. LOL

Adjust temp, pH and salinity, aerate well for a couple hours...then proceed without fear. Most folks do this every day - no harm no foul.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like something died and possibly cuased a nitrate/ammonia spike, cound be reading zero due to algae comsuming it. like mentioned do a couple larger water changes to get params back in check and then go from there.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back