Tank diving! Tools and tricks to dealing with deep tanks.

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I describe maintaining my tank. It's not huge by any means but a bit different in it's accessibility. It's a custom built 36" x 48" x 30" deep tank only accessible from the back and one side. DSC01513.JPG
I've done a couple of things to help with getting into it like building a small deck to make it easier to access the side.
DSC01474.JPG
I have a 4' ladder I use to help me work around the back.

Working in the front left corner can be a real challenge. To delicately handle/glue plugs I wear a diver's mask to be able to see what I'm doing and am up to my armpit in saltwater. I have a 30" Grip-n-Grab that has been a very useful tool for working with less delicate items.

What are some tools (purchased or fabricated) and techniques that you guys that are also deep tank owners, employ to help with your tank maintenance/animal care? I'd love to learn a new trick or 2 to help out.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy who was in our local club that had a tank very much like yours only 48" deep. It was even in the wall. He used a long armed scrubber, a dive mask and a snorkel! Seriously!

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn’t very big. It’s 60x26x25. It’s in wall, accessible through the garage behind it. To get to the bottom of the tank, I have to stand on the very top of a six foot step ladder. It can be tedious at times, but I feel my balance has improved considerably :). I hope to learn a few new tricks on this thread....

3D0279DF-FA90-43C8-8125-019269044C34.jpeg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of tongs might help or a spotter that can act as your eyes when you cannot see what you are doing. A top down viewing box to help see if you don't want to snorkel is also an option. My big tank is 36" deep and a bare bottom tank. Since I can't reach the bottom having access to the front, back and sides of the tank without obstructions was critical to the design of the system. Back when I did aquarium maintenance access issues to tanks was always an nightmare which is why I put so much emphases on having good access as part of an aquariums design. If you are having too many issues with access I would consider cutting the walls out over the top the tank and making front access panels.

U

User1

View Badges
210 gallon here that I about took down this weekend, in fact again yesterday until my daughter came in and kicked me out of my office to clean up the mess I made. Interesting how life comes around full circle when I used to ask her to take a 5 minute time out...anyway here is what I have to do with my 54" X 30" x 30" tank.

1. Painters ladders - small aluminium one
2. Full shoulder length gloves
3. Longer tools with solid handles (so water doesn't spill out while taking them out of the tank)
4. Design canopy with access in mind - doors remove or lift up so you can reach in
5. Towels
6. Epoxy / quick set glue for frags - easier to set once then having to reset pickup if it falls

I use standard Nitrile gloves when using some base tools that way I can reach down without getting my tanks in the tank. If I have to reach further back in the tank then I put on the shoulder length ones. Setting corals is a bit of a challenge so I try to visualize first to place with epoxy/glue. I've since found a better way to attach frags when using Pukani rock - someone's video - maybe Mel's - anyway they used acrylic rods which fit in the nooks and crannies 10x easier :)

Anyway that is what I've been doing or at least what works for me.

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of tongs might help or a spotter that can act as your eyes when you cannot see what you are doing. A top down viewing box to help see if you don't want to snorkel is also an option. My big tank is 36" deep and a bare bottom tank. Since I can't reach the bottom having access to the front, back and sides of the tank without obstructions was critical to the design of the system. Back when I did aquarium maintenance access issues to tanks was always an nightmare which is why I put so much emphases on having good access as part of an aquariums design. If you are having too many issues with access I would consider cutting the walls out over the top the tank and making front access panels.
Access is a challenge but doable. If it were any deeper it would not be. You're suggestion of cutting access into the front and side wall is a good one and one I've considered, I might need to put some more thought into that. A concern at this point would be protecting the water from sheetrock dust, but still not a deal breaker. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've since found a better way to attach frags when using Pukani rock - someone's video - maybe Mel's - anyway they used acrylic rods which fit in the nooks and crannies 10x easier :)
I can see the benefit here for sure. Some of my rock is Pukani, might have to give this a try.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine are a ladder, and tongs and grabbers.;

208029-aquariumtongs-b.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy live mussels, put them in Tupperware and freeze them. They close up real tight and don't get freezer burn. I'll toss one in my fish room sink and when it thaws, it opens. Then I loop a piece of of string around it and drop it in the tank. I'm sure clams would work too.

Claire Austin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 30" plain wooden dowels with tools attached with either cable ties or electrical tape. Paint scraper and piece of prefilter sponge for cleaning glass, toothbrush and small bottle brush for scrubbing rocks. Two turkey basters silicone together ( cut the top off one and glue it into the top of the second) to make an extra-long "super baster" for target feeding, sucking up dirt, and rescuing seahorse fry. Clear, flexible hose taped to a dowel to vacuum sand and do water changes. Ghetto, but effective.

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 30" deep aquariums both built into walls. I stand on buckets and fight with Kent scrapers all the time lol
Used to use a scraper. Got an Algae Free Tiger Shark to clean the glass with. Fitted with a razor blade it takes off anything, coralline algae no problem. (Hope those are good buckets man!! :eek:)

Mine are a ladder, and tongs and grabbers.;
I think I have both of these same tongs, or at least close. The metal ones with the big jaws do a great job, my plastic ones fit in tight spots but are a little hard to get to work right.

Two turkey basters silicone together ( cut the top off one and glue it into the top of the second) to make an extra-long "super baster" for target feeding, sucking up dirt, and rescuing seahorse fry. Clear, flexible hose taped to a dowel to vacuum sand and do water changes. Ghetto, but effective.
I'll be making use of both of these. Expensive doesn't make it a good tool, affective makes it a good tool. Thanks for the ideas!

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 long by 36 depth by 30 width. Always getting bruised armpits from the bracing when reaching down deep. I hate the grabbers because they spill water everywhere when you pull them out!! Where do I get ones that don't? Or maybe I cut up a bicycle wheel tube and use it as a water proof sleeve? The tubes might have contaminants so will need to clean well. I have a good painters ladder aluminium with a strong platform and tool holder up top - my best tool yet.
Always dropping frags. Need a snorkel mask or viewing box. Never thought of it until reading above. That will help me a lot. That kneading epoxy never sticks to frag plugs. Major hassle. Super glue lousy because it doesn't fill the gaps like the kneading epoxy. So what do I use to glue frags ? Never ending search. I have something called "IdealSeal" which is a fish and food safe underwater curing sealant that goes into a gun. Totally non toxic according to them. Comes in black or clear. I used it in the sump to attach a piece of glass underwater and it was fantastic. No smell, no apparent effect on the livestock. Cured in an hour. It has koi fish on the label! Bought it at a specially pond shop. Made here in Western Australia too. 20 bucks for a huge tube that goes into a standard gun. Going to try it out on pesky frags one at a time. Can't find shoulder length gloves anywhere. Perth is so isolated. Many challenges still remain unsolved.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
6 long by 36 depth by 30 width. Always getting bruised armpits from the bracing when reaching down deep. I hate the grabbers because they spill water everywhere when you pull them out!! Where do I get ones that don't? Or maybe I cut up a bicycle wheel tube and use it as a water proof sleeve? The tubes might have contaminants so will need to clean well. I have a good painters ladder aluminium with a strong platform and tool holder up top - my best tool yet.
Always dropping frags. Need a snorkel mask or viewing box. Never thought of it until reading above. That will help me a lot. That kneading epoxy never sticks to frag plugs. Major hassle. Super glue lousy because it doesn't fill the gaps like the kneading epoxy. So what do I use to glue frags ? Never ending search. I have something called "IdealSeal" which is a fish and food safe underwater curing sealant that goes into a gun. Totally non toxic according to them. Comes in black or clear. I used it in the sump to attach a piece of glass underwater and it was fantastic. No smell, no apparent effect on the livestock. Cured in an hour. It has koi fish on the label! Bought it at a specially pond shop. Made here in Western Australia too. 20 bucks for a huge tube that goes into a standard gun. Going to try it out on pesky frags one at a time. Can't find shoulder length gloves anywhere. Perth is so isolated. Many challenges still remain unsolved.
I shake the grabbers over the top of tank before I remove completely and have a bucket waiting to put them in to drain. Im at 34” depth and cracked 3 rib leaning over the rim which is what led me to grabbers

polyps707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30” tall tank, the game changers for me while learning reefing was to glue my rocks together so no chance of falling emergencies, have a frag tank connected to my display to keep new frags and so I’m not rushed to place frags in main display, do most if not all gluing frags during a water change when water level is low and I can look top down, when I glue frags I always use a toothbrush to brush the area on live rock I attach to, to rough the surface and remove slippery algae so the super glue can adhere, I do the same to the frag plug but quickly dry with towel before applying glue.
Tools I have them all it feels like, I use my Kent scraper 30? inches the most to scrape glass and to move corals placed on top of sand bed. If something is really wrong and can’t wait till a water change I fish it out with tongs and place it in my frag tank till a water change .

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shake the grabbers over the top of tank before I remove completely and have a bucket waiting to put them in to drain. Im at 34” depth and cracked 3 rib leaning over the rim which is what led me to grabbers
Yep I learned the hard way to let them drain first. I actually bought 36 inch long grabbers from the local hardware store for 9 bucks. Compared to the Aqua One 24 inch at 42 bucks it was a steal. In fact the Aqua One pair wire puller came out 3 times and I had to take it apart to fix them. They aren't rated for too much weight like the ones I bought locally. I'm going to get another pair so I have 2 devices to move things around. The Aqua One are junk. They are even offset with rubber tips too making it easy to grab things.

20190410_174146.jpg

OP
OP
Nep2nRevision3

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the pair of grabbers I use. Called Grip 'n Grab by a company named Ettore. It actually intended to be an accessibility tool. Made of aluminum, very light weight, soft rubber grips in the tongs, head can swivel but only locks in on 90 degree angles. It comes in several different lengths and can pick up fairly heavy objects. I think I gave $23ish for mine from Lowe's Home Improvements.
Grabber.JPG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back