Tank downsize with move

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in escrow on my very first home! A few months a go I had a tank wipe out in my 90g so its been fishless. In the new house I want to use a smaller tank that will be easier for me to maintain. I am trying to figure out my tank swap and move plan. I have a IM Nuvo 38 that I will be downsizing too.

My current plan is to cycle some new rock in the Nuvo along with some old rock and filter media from the 90. Then before the move transfer all corals to the Nuvo and tear down the 90, hoping to have a few weeks in the new tank for the corals to adjust. I wont be bringing any sand over since the new tank will be BB.Then on moving day put the corals into coolers, rocks in buckets. Set up the tank in the new house and add the corals.

What do you guys think? Is this the best plan? What would you do in my situation?

Last edited:

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tear down the 90, then set it up in the nuvo at the new house. Moving will stress everything, so mind as well do it only once.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tear down the 90, then set it up in the nuvo at the new house. Moving will stress everything, so mind as well do it only once.
So if I want to use some fresh rock in the new tank, I should just toss it into my 90g to get seeded? I am trying to use as little rock from the 90g as possible (a lot of it some crappy basalt/lava rock instead of calcium carbonate).I got about 20 lbs of nice dry rock with the new tank that I want to use instead. Its currently cycling in a 3rd tank that I was originally going to use instead (Nanocube 24).

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the most hardest thing to do on your 90g? Top off? Wc? I'm increasing my tank size little by little and so far I love my innovative marine 30l so much more than 15g tank. Much easier to maintain because I need to do once in a month water change only. ( have good filteration back ups like biopellets with skimmer and refugium also the medias.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in escrow on my very first home! A few months a go I had a tank wipe out in my 90g so its been fishless. In the new house I want to use a smaller tank that will be easier for me to maintain. I am trying to figure out my tank swap and move plan. I have a IM Nuvo 38 that I will be downsizing too.

My current plan is to cycle some new rock in the Nuvo along with some old rock and filter media from the 90. Then before the move transfer all corals to the Nuvo and tear down the 90, hoping to have a few weeks in the new tank for the corals to adjust. I wont be bringing any sand over since the new tank will be BB.Then on moving day put the corals into coolers, rocks in buckets. Set up the tank in the new house and add the corals.

What do you guys think? Is this the best plan? What would you do in my situation?
Although I upgraded my tank, I went from sand to a BB tank. I’ll just give you some advice about the rock: make sure all the sand is removed from the porous parts of the rocks before putting in new tank. I’ve been fighting tiny bits of sand for months. It looks so ugly on a BB.

Your plan sounds good.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the most hardest thing to do on your 90g? Top off? Wc? I'm increasing my tank size little by little and so far I love my innovative marine 30l so much more than 15g tank. Much easier to maintain because I need to do once in a month water change only. ( have good filteration back ups like biopellets with skimmer and refugium also the medias.
It's honestly the water changes. I use a Brute trash can to do 15 gallon water changes. With a smaller tank I can go back to using a 5 gallon bucket.

Additionally I want to have less stocking since in am qt-ing all fish after my wipe out. I also want my tank to look full of corals. In the 4 years my 90g has been running its still only about 50% full of coral. The Nuvo 38 is about half of my current tank so it should be pretty full of corals. Obviously these problems could be fixed with more work or money. This was a compromise instead of leaving the hobby altogether.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am going to leak test and fit all the equipment once my auto leveling Matt gets here. Still not sure if I am only going to do one transfers of two.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back