Tank failure

Diet Coke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 9:30 Saturday night I was sitting on the couch and heard a loud popping noise from my 40 gal
I looked and everything was ok
About 2 minutes later water was coming out from the bottom fast
I set up buckets to catch as much as I could
I ran to Walmart and got 2 10 gal tanks and stuffed everything in
So far The only thing lost was a sand sifting goby
I got a new 40 on Sunday and everything is going back to normal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The glass didn’t crack
The silicon came loose from the bottom
The pressure from water will push the seams loose on an unleveled tank

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn— I’m looking right now at buying two (2) Aqueon 180s. (Now I don’t know if I’m happy or sad that I asked.)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Darn— I’m looking right now at buying two (2) Aqueon 180s. (Now I don’t know if I’m happy or sad that I asked.)

Had 180 in a shaky apartment in Brooklyn for 6 years, no problem.

There is nothing wrong with them. THey are better in my opinion then a lot of the marinelands and perfecto tanks.

They have to be set on a level stand and I've always added a sheet of styro underneath.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are pretty sure you were careful with your silicone?— like not scraping too close with a razor? Did you happen to have a leveling mat of any type? Does you stand fully support the tank bottom?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I think @BZOFIQ and I am thinking along the same lines; my LFS has has their Aqueon 180 set up for many years.) But of course with anything made in a ‘factory,’ there is bound to be a failure rate of some degree— say for every One Thousand tanks that come off the line. Just sorry it had to be your tank.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I assume you are pretty sure you were careful with your silicone?— like not scraping too close with a razor? Did you happen to have a leveling mat of any type? Does you stand fully support the tank bottom?

Glass tanks built by aqueon don't need full bottom support, the whole weight sits on its rim.

That said, on wooden stands, the full top does make the stand more rigid.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I belong to BAS in NY and generally find Aqueon to be very good in quality. I talk to a lot of fellow aquarists at monthly meetings and there are no complaints. We did have a member (RIP) who kept getting leaky tanks - another friend went to his house and was shocked how out of level his floor and therefore stand was. He helped him setup a new tank and from then until they moved out of state there were no more failures.

Cannot stress enough how important it is for the tank to be level and I've always believed the mat under the tank is a must.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells Innovative Marine brand mats of various sizes; I like them. Have one under a rimless 6’ tank now, plan on using them under my new Aqueon 180s, even though they are framed tanks.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
BRS sells Innovative Marine brand mats of various sizes; I like them. Have one under a rimless 6’ tank now, plan on using them under my new Aqueon 180s, even though they are framed tanks.

I've always just used 1/2" styrofoam from HD. Stand trim always covered it anyway so it wasn't an eye-sore.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with your 180s. If I wasn't going with custom dims (82x32x24) this time around, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one from them.

BTW, you can go to your LFS that carries AQUEON and request minor modifications. My friend ordered slightly larger holes in the overflow for schedule 80 bulkheads and not so long ago I ordered their 150, that was shortened (height-wise) to 100G. I did that specifically to get that 100 Gallon with thicker glass that is done on the 150 because of its standard height.

If your LFS isnt aware of that possibility, call Aqueon and ask which LFS in your area is.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back