Tank Fish Stocking Ideas for 90 Gallon (3'X2'X2') Tank

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Fairly new to the hobby looking for suggestion for my tank. It is a 90 gallon 3'x2'x2'. Currently have 2 clowns, 2 blennies a wrasse and a mandrin. Tank has been up just shy of 2 years. Looking for reef safe, fairly easy to keep and non aggressive. If you have an suggestions that would be great! Things on my list right now are yellow watchman goby and caridnals (they are growing on me, honestly for a lack of options)

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big proponent of picking 1-3 fish you must have and planning the stocking around those. There are so many directions stocking can go it is important to pick a must have. I am interested in unusual angels and butterflies. These are sensitive fish with a propensity to munch corals. So it intimately effects, what fish and corals that can be in the tank with them.
Some people are into clouds of anthias or damsels, others eels and lions. There are Wrasse guys, and biotope people. Each of these will have very different stocking, and approaches. So I like to reccomend people try to find their nich or a theme they want to try. Cause the fish I’m into probably won’t be the fish the next guy is into.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big proponent of picking 1-3 fish you must have and planning the stocking around those. There are so many directions stocking can go it is important to pick a must have. I am interested in unusual angels and butterflies. These are sensitive fish with a propensity to munch corals. So it intimately effects, what fish and corals that can be in the tank with them.
Some people are into clouds of anthias or damsels, others eels and lions. There are Wrasse guys, and biotope people. Each of these will have very different stocking, and approaches. So I like to reccomend people try to find their nich or a theme they want to try. Cause the fish I’m into probably won’t be the fish the next guy is into.
I am just looking for ideas of fish that fit within my tank size (3 foot tank) and parameters (non coral munchers, and passive). This way maybe I can find my niche.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any basslet ( royal gramma, assessors, candy, swales, chalk, tobacco, etc), Chromis, firefish, more wrasses, hawkfish (be careful about which one you get), smaller anthias, blotchy anthias, dwarf angels, zebra moray eel (they are very mild mannered eels), dartfish, other gobies ( check out LA’s goby section for ideas), and Jawfish.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any basslet ( royal gramma, assessors, candy, swales, chalk, tobacco, etc), Chromis, firefish, more wrasses, hawkfish (be careful about which one you get), smaller anthias, blotchy anthias, dwarf angels, zebra moray eel (they are very mild mannered eels), dartfish, other gobies ( check out LA’s goby section for ideas), and Jawfish.
According to live aquaria the only basslet that is peaceful is the royal?

Worried about getting more wrasses with a madarin. I heard they like to eat pods.

Looks like most anthias max out at 4" some are 3". Is there certain ones I should avoid?

I know angels can eat coral. Are there some that are better than other or is it just a crap shoot. I think I remember coral beauty being one of the better ones.

I was looking at the yellow jawfish but I read they need a 5-7" sand bed?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to live aquaria the only basslet that is peaceful is the royal?

Worried about getting more wrasses with a madarin. I heard they like to eat pods.

Looks like most anthias max out at 4" some are 3". Is there certain ones I should avoid?

I know angels can eat coral. Are there some that are better than other or is it just a crap shoot. I think I remember coral beauty being one of the better ones.

I was looking at the yellow jawfish but I read they need a 5-7" sand bed?
Basslets are not aggressive at all really. I would put royal grammas at the top as far as aggressiveness if anything. I have no idea why they put that. Just my 2¢.
Fairy and flasher wrasses don’t eat large amounts of pods, but others like leopard and halichoeres do. I would avoid them, but flashers and fairies should be fine.
I would avoid Bartlett’s, square backs, and probably lyretail anthias.
I’m not an angel expert at all, but from what I’ve heard, any can eat corals. Lemon peals seem to be the worst, while Pygmy and coral beauties seem the best.
5-7” inches is a bit of an exaggeration, but they do like sand beds. I wouldn’t recommend them for anything less than a 3” at the very least though.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back