Tank has settled into what seems like high nitrate/phos?

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the last few weeks, been testing frequently and kinda just letting the tank do it's thing and not messing with anything except swapped filter roller media out, and cleaning the skimmer. No dosing, not doing water changes, nothing but letting my auto feeder go 3 times a day, and substituting in some frozen when I think about it.

It's really sort of settled into this .1 PO4 and 14ish Nitrate numbers with no algae issues, and my SPS frags I didn't lose when my RS tank split, have the best polyp extension since being moved to this new tank, and even an Acan that was showing skeleton is starting to make a comeback. Was a completely toasted Goni that does actually have polyps in it, they are even starting to come out.

Should I just roll with it? Should I be concerned with anything as far as those numbers go?

Alk is hovering around 10ish now. I'm seeing the number dwindle as coralline is starting to show. (was using Red Sea Coral pro. Will switch to the blue bucket and dose 2 part going forward. Alk mixed at like 11 in the purple bucket. I'd like it around 9.) Cal 450-460 and Mag 1350-1370. Was thinking about an ICP test, as I really would like to start getting into the moonshiners system.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those po4 ad no3 numbers are probably fine for most things. Some specific types of coral might not thrive with those, but many will. Have you seen corals stop growing or waste away that you want to keep? If not, then you are good. If so, then action might be needed.

You still need a plan to keep the no3 and po4 from rising too much in the future.

It looks like 2 part is going to be necessary pretty soon. For nearly all corals, trace elements from frequent water changes are enough - I would start here.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those po4 ad no3 numbers are probably fine for most things. Some specific types of coral might not thrive with those, but many will. Have you seen corals stop growing or waste away that you want to keep? If not, then you are good. If so, then action might be needed.

You still need a plan to keep the no3 and po4 from rising too much in the future.

It looks like 2 part is going to be necessary pretty soon. For nearly all corals, trace elements from frequent water changes are enough - I would start here.

Hard to say in terms of the corals, lots of the SPS I have did not fare well when my previous tank split. They went into a stock container for almost 4 months while I waited for RS to get me a new tank. I lost probably close to half of everything I had, as were gone when it split and leaked. However, the few healthy ones I do have left (stylo/branching monti) are doing great. Some of the LPS are starting to show more. Some stuff is starting to come back. I've not added anything new. This is all stuff left over, some in pretty bad shape.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the last few weeks, been testing frequently and kinda just letting the tank do it's thing and not messing with anything....
If the corals are happy let it ride, I think most people end up causing more problems trying to dial in a "perfect" number (perfect to them at least lol). If your coral growth really takes off you may see the N&P decrease. I would just pay close attention to your alk and not letting it fluctuate too much and if you want to bring it down, do it as slow as possible. Rapid Alk drop usually stunts growth for a while.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say in terms of the corals, lots of the SPS I have did not fare well when my previous tank split. They went into a stock container for almost 4 months while I waited for RS to get me a new tank. I lost probably close to half of everything I had, as were gone when it split and leaked. However, the few healthy ones I do have left (stylo/branching monti) are doing great. Some of the LPS are starting to show more. Some stuff is starting to come back. I've not added anything new. This is all stuff left over, some in pretty bad shape.

I would let it ride and observe. I would also not let those levels climb too much - up export to arrest any climb, but not so much to lower.

As you add stuff and this current stuff continues to recover, you can assess if you are OK where you are at. There is some zen to just being happy where you are. There will be some corals that you might want to keep that won't be happy, but just let them go - not all Z&P act the same just like not all fish, SPS, acropora, etc. There are types of each that will slow down and die well under your current parameters, but also probably enough to make most people happy that will not.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had SPS thrive with nitrates as high as 65 and phosphates as high as .55 ppm. I don't recommend it, LPS don't like phosphates that high. Nitrates are pretty much irrelevant to most corals unless you're over 70-80.

That said, your numbers are about perfect. I have gotten phosphates down from .55 down to .01 now and I'm having to feed coral food twice a week to get phosphates up. Some LPS started to recede when phosphates hit too low. Nitrates are around 10 or so.

That said, .1 and 11 are perfect for most corals!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back