Tank just got whiped-out with Ick or Valvet..

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly I think the basic premise of the polylab stuff is not much different than how plain ole peroxide works…

but again tbh I’m not totally versed on the nuances…

as it turned out I grossly overdosed the stuff to make it work AND dosed peroxide in tandem anyway
…take that fwiw

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease outbreaks happen at an astounding rate within the first eight months if no preps are in place (fallow and qt) thank you for letting me know. I try and sample as many events as possible and compare them to origination dates in disease forum help posts.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon 429, I thought I had enough in the tank to get it started right away with lots of live rock, dosing it with bacteria and adding in the pre-seeded media block, but it wasn’t enough. As you mentioned it should be recommended that the tank run for about 6 months or more to stabilize correctly. Everything looked like if it was going well for the first 3-4 weeks, but then things had a bad domino effect..

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this isn't a cycle issue at all

Disease preps run independent to how one cycles, the fish needed quarantine for at least observation before addition. In no way would waiting longer prevent disease whatsoever

For prevention and correction: see the stickies in the fish disease forum.

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease outbreaks happen at an astounding rate within the first eight months if no preps are in place (fallow and qt) thank you for letting me know. I try and sample as many events as possible and compare them to origination dates in disease forum help posts.
Are you able to quantify if it is due to age of tank or fish not being quarantined. Seems like most tanks are pretty well stocked with fish by 8 months. The first few months many fish are introduced to the system.

I would tend to think it is not due to age, but due to new fish not quarantined. Most diseases are introduced and most livestock is introduced in the first 8 months.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Brandon, you lost me. I’m not sure why you mentioned the first 8 months to begin with? Are you saying that the tank has to be fallow or fish need to be observed and or quarantined for that long of a period?

Last edited:
OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to quantify if it is due to age of tank or fish not being quarantined. Seems like most tanks are pretty well stocked with fish by 8 months. The first few months many fish are introduced to the system.

I would tend to think it is not due to age, but due to new fish not quarantined. Most diseases are introduced and most livestock is introduced in the first 8 months.
I agree with mook, a tank is well stocked with fish by 8 months. Most hobbyist are anxious and move very quickly, especially at first. Also, usually they want to introduce aggression or similar family species together to avoid aggression.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreeing with Mook here

’I would tend to think it is not due to age, but due to new fish not quarantined. Most diseases are introduced and most livestock is introduced in the first 8 months.’

only a detailed plan for fallow and quarantine would lessen the chance for disease losses here, he couldn’t wait another six months to add fish and have a less loss rate given the stock source and other variables in the early onset. If he’d said the system was fifteen months running fully stocked with mixed pet store corals and fish and snails then I’d be amazed the disease outbreak didn’t hit much sooner.

Ive found in some posts where people with very aged systems can add pet store fish without prep and somehow still suppress the infection but it’s an inordinate amount of wait time/years and seeming luck involved

what jay uses in the disease forum as the fix to the disease outbreak I like to apply right at the end of the cycle, before any fish addition. tank cycling as a whole needs a refocus on disease preps as important as ammonia control to lessen loss rates for new fish added imo

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The OTC meds is trash let’s be honest guys , the only way to eradicate parasites is proven already .

OP sorry for your losses I wish you luck. If I was to have an outbreak and my pets wiped out I can’t imagine how devastating I may just quit. I’ had all my corals wiped out from bacterial issue , so don’t take my advice I’m just up to my neck already.

OP
OP
southeastfishaddict

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OTC meds is trash let’s be honest guys , the only way to eradicate parasites is proven already .

OP sorry for your losses I wish you luck. If I was to have an outbreak and my pets wiped out I can’t imagine how devastating I may just quit. I’ had all my corals wiped out from bacterial issue , so don’t take my advice I’m just up to my neck already.
Sorry to hear about your corals. & yes, agreed, it can be very devastating. All of the time, money, effort and love that goes into those animals is very heartbreaking when you lose them.. especially when it’s a large group of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back