Tank manifolds: what items do you have plugged in to the manifold.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of building my reefer 625 tank manifold. My manifold will run a Calcium reactor and UV light for sure... but I’m a noob so I want to plan for the future and what other items might need pressurized water from my system.
I’m trying to build manifold with enough ports and valves for the future.

What items do you run off your manifolds on your tanks?

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Sterilizer
Refugium
Algae Turf Scrubber
Chiller
GFO Reactor (some combine with carbon, but separate is nice b/c carbon needs to tumble and GFO generally should not - it crumbles)
Carbon Reactor
Media Reactor
Ca Reactor
Drain - for water changes

Not many would run all of these.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Sterilizer
Refugium
Algae Turf Scrubber
Chiller
GFO Reactor (some combine with carbon, but separate is nice b/c carbon needs to tumble and GFO generally should not - it crumbles)
Carbon Reactor
Media Reactor
Ca Reactor

Wow.. what pump you using and what flow you pushing to chiller?

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Sterilizer
Refugium
Algae Turf Scrubber
Chiller
Carbon Reactor
Media Reactor
Ca Reactor

Got it backwards with the GFO and carbon. I believe GFO needs to tumble. Carbon can break down if too much flow/tumbling.

I do the same. Carbon/GFO reactor and UV

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV Sterilizer
Refugium
Algae Turf Scrubber
Chiller
Carbon Reactor
Media Reactor
Ca Reactor

Pictures please

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run manifold for my zeovit reactor, chiller, carbon reactor and for my weekly water change drain to the garage sink.
How do you manage to use your manifold to do water changes? I set mine up with the intention to do the same however I feel it won’t work as it will just empty my sump rather before I get enough water out?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, this thread is back.. I had plans of my manifold being able to drive several things. Well the reality is It didn’t work out as well as I hoped.

I ended up running two return pumps. 1 pump is just a straight shot to the tank. The second pump feeds the manifold. The manifold feeds an algae scrubber and my UV. The biggest reason nothing else is fed from it is I need to maintain a certain flow rate to both items. Also the UV returns back to the main tank. Also an inhibiting factor is that I had to use 3/4” pipe. It restricts flow and limits what I can run.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, this thread is back.. I had plans of my manifold being able to drive several things. Well the reality is It didn’t work out as well as I hoped.

I ended up running two return pumps. 1 pump is just a straight shot to the tank. The second pump feeds the manifold. The manifold feeds an algae scrubber and my UV. The biggest reason nothing else is fed from it is I need to maintain a certain flow rate to both items. Also the UV returns back to the main tank. Also an inhibiting factor is that I had to use 3/4” pipe. It restricts flow and limits what I can run.
I built mine very similar, however I am not having fluctuation problems (as I know) lol . I only run my varios 6 pump at level 2 and have a line to my tank as my return and then have a t that goes into 3/4 inch pipe like yours! I have 4 gate valves on it with one running my carbon reactor whilst the other is sending water to my fuge.

what UV do you run? I wanted to try to figure out if I could hook my green machine up to my manifold as well. But always could add a new piece of equipment!

how do you notice your flow is changed depending on where it is going? Does the algae scrubber and uv speeds fluctuate?

DE6D9415-0000-4615-BA7B-DA0D7A8F1B2B.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what UV do you run? I wanted to try to figure out if I could hook my green machine up to my manifold as well. But always could add a new piece of equipment!
I run a 40W Pentair
how do you notice your flow is changed depending on where it is going? Does the algae scrubber and uv speeds fluctuate?
I have a flow sensor on my UV output. If I open anything else on the manifold it drops the UV flow below where I want it. Also I run the pump at 75% So in order to maintain proper UV flow I have to limit what I run and how much flow it steals.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an ATS, Macroalgae Reactor, UV (not on currently though), and Carbon Reactor off of my manifold. Wish I had more space in my stand though!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an ATS, Macroalgae Reactor, UV (not on currently though), and Carbon Reactor off of my manifold. Wish I had more space in my stand though!
Any recommendations for a Macroalgae reactor and or a uv?

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for a Macroalgae reactor and or a uv?
I have a Pentair 25w on my setup and I am pretty happy with it. I don’t always run it though because I don’t feel the need to and wonder how much of the good stuff it’s also zapping.
For the reactor, I use a Pax Bellum N18 in reverse cycle on for 8 hours I think. I have been really happy with it and it produces a good bit that I harvest every 2 weeks. They are pretty pricey though. I haven’t used any other brand so I can’t really comment on them though.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pentair 25w on my setup and I am pretty happy with it. I don’t always run it though because I don’t feel the need to and wonder how much of the good stuff it’s also zapping.
For the reactor, I use a Pax Bellum N18 in reverse cycle on for 8 hours I think. I have been really happy with it and it produces a good bit that I harvest every 2 weeks. They are pretty pricey though. I haven’t used any other brand so I can’t really comment on them though.
Is the one pax easy to harvest from? Do you just grow chaeto in it? What do you mean exactly by reverse cycle and how large is your tank? Sorry for so many questions!

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries!

Yes, very easy to harvest from. There are 4 plastic nuts that you unscrew a bit enough to give you the ability to turn the top and pull it out. I have chaeto and dragons breath growing in it. Dragons breath is towards the bottom and chaeto towards the top. I have the reactor’s lights come on a reverse schedule to display lighting, I believe it is set for 12a-7a if I recall correctly. Display lights turn off at 7p. System is a 110gal display and I believe a 20 or 24 gal sump. I have heard positive stuff about the Skimz brand algae reactors also and they are less costly.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 154 77.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.0%

Back