tank question

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heard about people putting foam or something under their tanks and i was wondering how many people do this?

also what would be the reasoning for doing this?

Crooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I have seen its only for tanks that dont have a plastic frame around them like rimless glass tanks or acrylic tanks.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heard about people putting foam or something under their tanks and i was wondering how many people do this?

also what would be the reasoning for doing this?
The reason is to distribute the tank weight over a larger area and preventing pressure points caused by unevenness in the stand. Especially when the stand if not flat and level.

I had used the styrofoam insulation for this. Available at home supply places. It looks like the foam in coolers only a flat sheet.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what beaslbob said, although I never have done it. I would use it if the
tank placement surface was slightly uneven. Back in the day of slate bottom
tanks even slight uneveness could twist the tank and crack the slate.

JR,

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic:
You need to support the entire bottom surface so a lot of people use foam for added levelness.

Glass:
If it has the black trim around the tank you only need to have wood under the trim so foam across the entire surface isn't necessary, and I've read that it can lead to problems if you use a lot of foam and it starts to push up against the middle glass.

If your tank does not have trim you will need to support the entire bottom so you can treat it like acrylic in regards to support.

Back