Tank rebuild

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So first I wanna start this off as I got a 265 gal tank for a good price. So with that good price comes with it leaking. Also idk if this would qualify as a build thread or not but it’s also DIY as in what I’m going to do. So first comes first I get the tank and it’s a beast so I called in some help to get it into my garage.
IMG_0101.JPG

Sorry I didn’t take a bunch of pictures after this because I was helping. But after we got it inside and weeks go by I wanted to know why it was leaking. So I start by removing all inside silicone.
IMG_0114.JPG
. So I’m just gonna redo the seals no problem. WRONG. I slept over and over and over thinking about water in my house and wasn’t sitting right. So I’m gonna rebuild this tank. I’m pretty confident in my skills so I start digging into this thing.
IMG_0115.JPG
Overflows gone.
IMG_0117.JPG
Top removed. Flipped it over and removed the bottom and then I found the problems my friendsss!! Can you guess??

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe!! Does anyone else have a guess??

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So upon further review the bottom panel was shifted over a 1/4 inch from I’m assuming being manufactured.
IMG_0118.JPG

Kinda hard to tell in this picture but that’s the back of the tank where is was leaking.
IMG_0125.JPG

Also the back of the tank with a tape measure to show you how back the tank was shifted and not fully sealed.
IMG_0124.JPG

This is the front on the tank with my fingers to show how much it is shifted over the front.
IMG_0126.JPG

Took a measurement also on the front to show the craziness. I’m not tank manufacturer by any means but I’m almost positive that the bottom shouldn’t be like this and I’m almost positive this is why it was leaking. So with that in my mind time to tear it apart
IMG_0138.JPG

I got a bunch of blue board from work for free so I took advantage of it and used it for cushion for all the glass. Also sorry for my messy garage [emoji51] got a lot of things going on at once.

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So for another update I finally got around to actually tearing the tank apart. Ive been so busy with work and traveling really haven't had a chance to really work on the tank. But I did finally manage to get a weekend to tackle this beast and it is just myself doing all of this which is ok but just takes me a little longer due to the fact that the glass is really heavy. Also had to wait and gather the right tools to take the tank apart the right way without breaking anything and being very careful. So here we go lets take this 265 tank apart!!
mxK%43p2Qf2zU1Is5CqCOQ.jpg

Ep9ZhWEyTySDe97zRTSpbA.jpg

So with the tank apart I had to get ALL the silicone off. So I bought a ton of razor blades and started scraping away. Well after a couple hours I felt like I was getting absolutely no where. So what I ended up doing was grabbing an impact drill and a brass wire wheel attached to the drill and tested in a spot to see if it scratched or damaged the glass. Well come to find out it does not scratch the glass so I went to town. Boy does it eat that silicone no problem at all and made the glass look super clean after a good wipe down with acetone.
tTyMyrq8RXWAvXNp39yOTQ.jpg
dKrYH39lQqm0Q690OknXww.jpg

After a couple hours of drilling and cleaning I was just about ready to put the tank back together!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back