Tank Size

Carl.hu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I'm new to reef aquariums and am getting ready to buy my first reef tank. I've had a freshwater tank for years and finally decided that I wanted to switch to saltwater. I've been doing a lot of research and have finally got to the point of starting to look for equipment. My initial thoughts were to get a 36x24x24 (~90 gallon) tank. But after visiting some local shops I was leaning towards a 60x24x24 tank (~160 gallons). After thinking about it I'm concerned that the larger tank may be too much for a newbie. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea of what type of fish you want to keep?

IMO/E, larger tanks (( to an extent )) are a bit easier -- larger water volume gives you a bit more lee-way when mistakes happen. Though, the larger the tank, the more expensive the equipment can be, compared to a smaller tank.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!!!

I would go with the largest tank that you feel comfortable with. The upkeep for larger tanks does cost more since you will do larger water changes and the equipment will cost more. Like Trex stated, larger tanks can be more forgiving. If you are leaning towards a larger tank, it might be wise to start with it from the beginning or you might end up upgrading down the road.

OP
OP
C

Carl.hu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure yet on the fish and corals. Leaning towards a deep water reef with corals that require moderate lighting and water flow. Fish will be hardy, non aggressive and easy to maintain. I'm trying to minimize problems with the livestock while I'm learning.

Mike171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you also have to look at where you are going to be putting it in your house. I have am upgrading to a 120 (4x2x2) because it fits great where I want this tank to go.

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the largest tank you can afford. The water stability will be better and therefore easier to maintain. But, as I sure you are aware the startp cost will be much higher.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Just remember that the larger the tank the more the cost with equipment and everything. If you are ok with spending more money then I would go big!

sokarber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake when I first got started in doing a smaller tank due to the cost. Less then a year into it I was starting over on a lager tank and having to buy everything all over again to get a bigger tank. I would recommend going with the biggest tank you can afford long term.

REEF911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump on a large tank. just remember cost though. also please make sure u get a sump and internal overflow. they will make life a ton easier. its so much easier fitting a skimmer in a sump then trying to find a good hang on back one. spring for the bigger one if you can afford it. like TREX said more water is more forgiving. takes longer to mess things up and if your just getting in then you want forgiveness as you learn.

OP
OP
C

Carl.hu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitly going to spend the money to make sure I do it right whichever way I go. Sump, overflow, skimmer, refugium, LED lighting, etc will all be part of the set-up. What about the maintenance between the the two sizes - is it pretty much the same?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maintenance is pretty much the same.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maintenance is pretty much the same.

+1, sure water changes are a little bigger and a little more costly, but if your dropping the coin for all the bigger equipment an extra box of salt every now and then is the least of concerns lol Keep up on the glass cleanings with a magfloat or similar and its not to difficult..... scraping down a bigger tank sucks tho, so stay on top of it before it gets to that point lol

I would go as big as possible, like someone said already... I started out with a 20g, 6 months later 75g, 6 months later 180g. If you have the $, room and plan on staying put for a while I would even consider going bigger then the ~160. plan it all out find the spot you want the tank and build for that spot. Personally I really like a 6'+ tank and there are more larger fish you can keep better with a longer length as well. Unlike many FW fish, alot of SW fish are very powerful swimmers and to really appreciate their beauty IMO you have to see them REALLY swimming around! Watch even a yellow tang in a 3' tank, and then put it in a 6'+ tank and then try tell me the fish isn't happier and more amazing with a straight face ;)

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it might be smart to start with the 90. I keep nanos and it is a bit difficult to keep things steady, but a 90 gallon display with sump will give you right around 100 gallons. IMO go with this one, don't skimp on anything, lights included, even if you plan on keeping soft corals you will be hit by one bug or another and will be glad you have everything you need already. You can keep a wide verity of fish in there as well. I just feel that a 160 is a bit steep to "test the waters" so to speak. That's just my 2¢ keep us updated and good luck!

OP
OP
C

Carl.hu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Everyone

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I placed the order today for the 160 gallon tank. I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the near future.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back