tank stand help

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my stan for my 180 and when i sat my tank on top to trial fit it i had a few spots that had 1/16 of an inch gap one spot is on a corner and runs about 10 inches towards the center . is that going to hurt my tank also would it help if i cut some thin rubber and sat the tank on that to take the space up ? any advice is appreciated

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use some shims to fill that void it. every time we build a stand we always rip off a small amout to give us a flat surface. some people will use stirofoam under there tanks to.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank rimless? If not I would shim it, I've read that styrofoam shouldn't be used on framed tanks.

snooked321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump... Please go in depth on the foam or no foam? I was told by one of the builders to put foam under my tank and it would find (has black trim and eurobrased) its comfy spot? Would somebody with some genuine knowledge please advise on this.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always read that it isn't a good thing to use styro under tanks. If they have a frame the frame is designed to take up the flaws in the surface of the stand. That being said I've done it both ways and have never had an issue.

KrautBurner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people will use stirofoam under there tanks to.

Is the tank rimless? If not I would shim it, I've read that styrofoam shouldn't be used on framed tanks.

bump... Please go in depth on the foam or no foam? I was told by one of the builders to put foam under my tank and it would find (has black trim and eurobrased) its comfy spot? Would somebody with some genuine knowledge please advise on this.

I've always read that it isn't a good thing to use styro under tanks. If they have a frame the frame is designed to take up the flaws in the surface of the stand. That being said I've done it both ways and have never had an issue.

where did you read that it's bad?
just in Forums? or in any official publication?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that when you place it on styro the tank is actually sitting on the styro and not the plastic frame. The plastic frame is designed to fully support the glass of the tank with no assistance.

KrautBurner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if the foam was thin,
like the closed cell stuff you use under laminant flooring?
wouldn't be thick enough to touch the glass, but be enough to take up any imperfections in the wood.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%

Back