tank stand

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a new tank since my current tank has a crack in it. still not leaking yet. but I am watching it. I plan on doing my own stand to save a little money on it. and so it's more stable than what the store brands are. plus they look cheap. I plan on building my own. but since the tank I am looking at I believe is 48 inches in length. Can I build the stand larger than the tank and add a second tank like a 20 long. and then it will give me more room underneath to add a second sump to it andrun one overflow to one sump and a second overflow to the another sump. plus I just plan on running 1 skimmer through out the whole system since it's rated up to 250 gallons. I plan on getting a 120 gallon tank.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can build it as big as you'd like. Just make sure to properly support the stand. I am building one to support a 150 next week and will be using 2x6's for the stand

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the stand size you can make it bigger then you need as to plan for the future addition of more tanks etc.
Reading your post it sounds like your gonna run both tanks independent of each other as you say one over flow to one sump and a second tank with a second over flow to it.
But you say you will use one skimmer, so I am really not sure if you plan to tie both sumps together, and use the one skimmer for both, are you?
If so this creates a whole different water management and plumbing design which will have to be planned out. Sort of like retail stores wall of tanks tie ins to a main sump.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the stand size you can make it bigger then you need as to plan for the future addition of more tanks etc.
Reading your post it sounds like your gonna run both tanks independent of each other as you say one over flow to one sump and a second tank with a second over flow to it.
But you say you will use one skimmer, so I am really not sure if you plan to tie both sumps together, and use the one skimmer for both, are you?
If so this creates a whole different water management and plumbing design which will have to be planned out. Sort of like retail stores wall of tanks tie ins to a main sump.
I plan on a 20 long with no sump. the larger tank has 2 overflows so I plan on a second sump for that and one skimmer for that system. the 20 long will not have a sump. maybe a HOB filter or skimmer. no sump.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would do the two tanks on one sump. May make things easier down the line, less equipment and maybe more stability?

I had an idea: your big tank and the 20 long as a display refugium? in any case- sounds like a cool build. Would love to see some photos when you get to it

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on a 20 long with no sump. the larger tank has 2 overflows so I plan on a second sump for that and one skimmer for that system. the 20 long will not have a sump. maybe a HOB filter or skimmer. no sump.
You could plumb both over flows to one sump. Not sure why a second sump would be beneficial on one tank.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build it as big as you'd like. Just make sure to properly support the stand. I am building one to support a 150 next week and will be using 2x6's for the stand
Hi, I have a 140 which is 6 feet long and I made my stand 8 feet long out of 2x4 which handles the weight fine. I braced it with cross 2x4 supports every 2 feet and it has a 1/2" plywood top. 2x6 won't hurt to use but just cost you a little more.
I am currently building a 300 gallon.....to replace my 140.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2x4s are quite fine for the build, I just happen to have 2x6's from a shed build left over :)

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 140 which is 6 feet long and I made my stand 8 feet long out of 2x4 which handles the weight fine. I braced it with cross 2x4 supports every 2 feet and it has a 1/2" plywood top. 2x6 won't hurt to use but just cost you a little more.
I am currently building a 300 gallon.....to replace my 140.
I am building my 300 gallon stand out of industrial fiberglass 2" square tubing.
Here is my link

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building my 300 gallon stand out of industrial fiberglass 2" square tubing.
Here is my link
2x4s are quite fine for the build, I just happen to have 2x6's from a shed build left over :)
I think i'm switching it to 2 x 4's and for the paint job im gonna primer it then paint it. The last time I did any wood working was a top for an old tank. I didn't paint it. I don't remember what I did to protect it. I will have to go through some old threads to find what I did.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm switching it to 2 x 4's and for the paint job im gonna primer it then paint it. The last time I did any wood working was a top for an old tank. I didn't paint it. I don't remember what I did to protect it. I will have to go through some old threads to find what I did.
great. 2x4 will give you a little more head room, inside the cabinet room about 2" more.

Back