Tank swap

ReeferMadness01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading my 75 gallon to a 90 gallon. The 90 was up and running when I bought it. Super clean sand and rock. But the fish inside had ich. I’ve drained all the water and it’s been sitting outside all day in the south Louisiana heat. Do I have to wait until the sand is completely dry for the ich to be dead?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - with even a little moisture it is possible for ich to survive. It would need to be totally dry for at least a few days (I forget the exact timeframe) or simply allowed to fallow for 60 days (if wet).

OP
OP
ReeferMadness01

ReeferMadness01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - with even a little moisture it is possible for ich to survive. It would need to be totally dry for at least a few days (I forget the exact timeframe) or simply allowed to fallow for 60 days (if wet).
I was afraid of that. Was hoping this would be a quick swap.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m upgrading my 75 gallon to a 90 gallon. The 90 was up and running when I bought it. Super clean sand and rock. But the fish inside had ich. I’ve drained all the water and it’s been sitting outside all day in the south Louisiana heat. Do I have to wait until the sand is completely dry for the ich to be dead?
I would recommend new sand . You can fill tank with freshwater which will have impact on protozoans but best is to set up the 90g with new sand and treat the 75gallon and treat the 75 with fish with Coppersafe if you havent started treatment for 30 full days at copper level 2.5 and then transfer fish over after the 30 day treatment as 90g will be sterile

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes - In fact most people would recommend tossing the sand - but if you think its 'clean' - now its full of dead bacteria, etc. I would take the sand out - rinse it thoroughly - and then let it dry. Best wishes - starting a new tank is always a stress

OP
OP
ReeferMadness01

ReeferMadness01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend new sand . You can fill tank with freshwater which will have impact on protozoans but best is to set up the 90g with new sand and treat the 75gallon and treat the 75 with fish with Coppersafe if you havent started treatment for 30 full days at copper level 2.5 and then transfer fish over after the 30 day treatment as 90g will be sterile
Everything in the 75 has been treated for a couple years now. Trying to avoid contaminating them with the 90gal

OP
OP
ReeferMadness01

ReeferMadness01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes - In fact most people would recommend tossing the sand - but if you think its 'clean' - now its full of dead bacteria, etc. I would take the sand out - rinse it thoroughly - and then let it dry. Best wishes - starting a new tank is always a stress
I mean it’s clean as in I stirred it up and the water wasn’t even cloudy. I hate to throw out good sand and spend another $120 if it’s not needed

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I mean it’s clean as in I stirred it up and the water wasn’t even cloudy. I hate to throw out good sand and spend another $120 if it’s not needed
You can do a sand rinse and take your chances. Add bacteria supplement such as MicroBacter XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gallons for 10 days to boost detnirification.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back