Tank Temperature

MarineDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon,

I'm a little concerned, I've come in from work today to find my tank reading 29'C. I have set the heater to 26'C but as you are probably aware in the UK at the moment we are having a heatwave and its currently 30'C outside.. I only have my clean up crew in the tank at the moment along with some Zoas but still worried as I plan on getting fish in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's around 85. Not terribly high, but higher than it needs. I would try blowing a fan across the top of the tank or the sump (or both). That should get you down a bit. I don't think you need a chiller ($$s) but that is always an option. Turn off any pumps you don't need they add a lot of heat to the tank.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there isn't any rapid swings you should be fine up to around 30C but I wouldn't want to go over that for extended periods. Just be aware that water doesn't hold oxygen as well at higher temps so make sure you have good surface agitation.

It also doesn't give you much leeway if something bad were to happen as going from 29C to 31+C is a much shorter jump than from 26C to 31+C. As suggested try and get a fan or two and have them blow across the water surface, it can really help a lot. If you are pretty sure that 29 is the hottest your tank will get, even in a heat wave then I don't think you need a chiller. But to help provide a stable temp it can be something to look into in the future.

There have actually been studies that show coral grows faster at temps around 28-30C as it helps their metabolism speed up. I run my tank at 28-29C as here it is regularly mid to high 30s and I don't want the chiller on all day every day. But I need to invest in a heater for stability as sometimes overnight (only for 2-3 months a year) the tank can get down to 26C for a few hours.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here in the gulf of mexico and the Atlantic off of the coast of Florida, the temperatures are in the gulf right now between 86.5f or 30.27c and there is a buoy about 800 miles out at 84f 28.88c and they will cool in the fall and winter. as @MaccaPopEye is suggestion, for short term you should be fine as long as the swing in not to drastic.

Back