Tank upgrade in your future? Here are some tips for going bigger!

Do you have plans to have a bigger tank in the future?

• YES (tell us the size in the thread)

Votes: 370 55.1%
  • NO not at all

Votes: 141 21.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 139 20.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 21 3.1%

• Total voters

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I would want a tank big enough for a tang of some sort, because I love them so much!

Would probably look into getting a 55g or a 75g. I definitely don’t want to go bigger than I could handle.

Edit: I would also want it to be drilled, so I can put a sump in. Definitely want a sump. :D
I highly recommend a 75. I'm running a 55 and the narrow width makes cleaning near the rocks difficult because the scape gets closer to the glass. It also wobbles more than my 75 because of it's narrow width.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOST of us at some point in time will go bigger or want to go bigger with our saltwater reef aquariums. When it comes to aquariums it's hard not to get sucked in to the belief that bigger is better. Is it better? Not always! That's why it's important to understand and plan before making the jump UP in gallons. So let's talk about it today!

1. When upgrading to a new tank what are some important things to plan for? Share a tip or two!

2. Do you have plans to go bigger and if so what size are you going up to?

Chingchai's 1000gal SPS Tank (Thailand)
dsc0582ps_zpsc3613336.jpg
I went from a 95 corner to a 150 gallon low iron front and sides glass tank. I would like to upgrade to a 200 as I would like to keep larger tangs. But, maintenance on the 150 and stocking with livestock is getting expensive. I need to automate more, I'm still lugging around buckets of water for water changes. So having a larger tank would be nice, but not practical for me right now.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently upgrading to a fijicube 81. But my wife and I have already decided when I retire we will build/buy a house and build a 300-400 gallon peninsula.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOST of us at some point in time will go bigger or want to go bigger with our saltwater reef aquariums. When it comes to aquariums it's hard not to get sucked in to the belief that bigger is better. Is it better? Not always! That's why it's important to understand and plan before making the jump UP in gallons. So let's talk about it today!

1. When upgrading to a new tank what are some important things to plan for? Share a tip or two!

2. Do you have plans to go bigger and if so what size are you going up to?

Chingchai's 1000gal SPS Tank (Thailand)
dsc0582ps_zpsc3613336.jpg
I have a 125 gallon and have no plans of upgrading unless I come into some money, find a large tank that is used and very reasonable. I am very happy with my 125 gallon. Serious I do not have the room for a larger tank and am not about to part with anything just to make room for a larger reef tank.

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can get that 200 sooner than later. :) Any fish you want in particular?
I love the Achilles, but the success rate is not good with a smaller tank. Live aquaria has a red grouper that was beautiful. But I think my smaller fish would be a tasty treat. As it stands right now my powder brown is swimming laps.

Attachments

• 20210805_174006.mp4
    97 MB

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m in the process of acquiring a 150 gal established tank that’s in bad condition due to his medical condition. It will bean upgrade from a 75 gal that I currently have. I’m getting the whole setup. livestock included.

Samoks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got into this hobby almost by accident walking into a fairly new LFS and ended up buying a 10 gallon with clown fish pair as a gift last year. Didn't really know what a coral was thinking they are plants.

It was not easy learning the myriads of things to know in maintaining a reef tank.
Now have a 20 gallon and the tank looks good.
Planning to switch to 120~150 gallons when the right opportunity comes up.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 40g breeder to a 180 gal 4 years ago. If you go bigger than 180 gal the tanks double in price. I have all diy filtration so that wasn't a big deal. Only real difference is a lot more space to fill and it evaporates about 10-15 gallons a week. I only change about 5% water monthly.

ToadallyNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an old Oceanic 57 that I’ve had for 13 years. I recently set it up in January, and then made plans to upgrade, only because it’s so old, in a couple years to something a little bigger. Well, those plans made the fast track, and I’ll be receiving a new Cade S2 1500 at the end of next week. That’s a tremendous jump in size for me. I’ve never owned anything larger than a 72 gallon bow front in the 30 plus years I’ve been keeping saltwater systems. Wish me luck!

Russell G

Meh...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riiight... be honest.. how many times have you looked around and thought... 'we don't even use the stove that much really' or.. looked at that main door & thought 'honestly, we come through the garage entrance 90g of the time, it's really just for guests & they would aappreciate a 300 gal reef Wayy more than a front entrance' did I say that outloud?
Wife ... : l
Lol! There have been some discussions like “if we remove that wall, a tank would look great there” but the wife always says no. Such a buzz kill.

ATC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i got a house with a concrete floor i would go 180 gallon currently have a 90
I own a construction company and We are planning on putting a 300 gallon on the bottom floor of our house that’s pier and beam I had my friend that’s an engineer do the load calculations and drawings for me and we are going to add lvl structural beams, columns and some new footings under the tank to support the additional load. Materials fall right around $1,000. He calculated right around 8,500 pounds total weight and the structure can hold a min of 10,000 pounds. Long story short concrete floor not needed lol.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always looking for bigger, but budget and a 100 year old house with old wood joists is limiting me. I have a IM 30L soon to be a 40b by Christmas. My 75 I would love to go 120 (the stand I built would work with an internal overflow) but I’m still debating that one. Heck, just thought, it’s been up for four years now. Definitely need an upgrade

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back