Tank wiped out by bacterial infection

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, sad day here as I flushed my last fish. As of Saturday, everything and everyone in my tank looked normal and on Sunday, one of my fish didn't come out during feeding time. Didn't think too much of it as the other two came out and looked just fine. Monday, he still didn't come out so I picked up some rocks and found him laying dead. He had a white blotch on his side and I thought maybe he got a little beat up or the CUC got to him a little. Now today I found the other 2 dead with the same thing. I believe it was a bacterial infection of some sort. I haven't added any livestock in months and didn't do anything differently recently. I'm not sure what caused it. Anyone know if it could have been brought in from something on my hands? And what could kill 3 fish in 2-3 days?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gram negative bacteria can be very virulent and cause wipeouts. The only thing is I have never heard of it being an issue in a display tank with fish that have been there for months and no new additions. You haven't added any corals or anything at all in months? Velvet is the most common cause of rapid fish death in the hobby.

Sorry to hear of your losses :(

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%

Back