Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much hate. It was a tv show.

I agree 100% people need to lighten up.
+100+100%

I would think we should have some compassion. The show had bad info yes, but I didn’t know the people in the show. I am glad the show is off, but would not wish bad things on people involved.

If anything maybe sympathy. I am sure, while Brett’s texts were bad, how many texts/emails/calls is he getting telling him how the sucked? I can see it being overwhelming and triggers a lashing out.

Let’s try sending them consolation for their current problems or leave them be.

But, I am the new guy, so if I said something wrong I am going with the standard “I agree with (instert name here).;Smuggrin

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see it as hate, just an opinion. You either liked the show or did not. To me it was the same episode on repeat with another celebrity. Que in the scripts, planned disasters and get the tank finished just in time. Brett just shows his level of professionalism with his comments and it's on par with others I've read when it comes to his tank failures. Just shows he doesn't care IMO and hey, let Brett do Brett.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the creativity of the custom tanks themselves, at least much of the time for the few I watched. It's always fun to think "What could I put there?". However, their fake coral did nothing for me and personally think FOWLR would be better. Who wants to clean algae from fake coral? In the end though, I think it could have been handled much better. They COULD have made frequent disclaimers that they were only showing parts of the build, it takes much longer, and directed people to information sources. For some reason they didn't do that, perhaps not wanting to reveal how bad some of their shortcuts really were?

I live in Pensacola and still not seen the drum set build, but I have seen the Pirate Ship they built at the Florida Welcome Center on Perdido Key. Not impressed at all. The stand was creative! The tank looks like an over-sized version of a kid's guppy tank. I was allowed to open the cabinet and decided I didn't "really" need to see more with one glance. It reminded me why they really don't show much about what goes under the hood.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, while Brett went about it about as salty as possible, he isn't necessarily wrong. 2 friends and I really got into the saltwater hobby around the time of the show's beginning. I had plenty of experience in freshwater before that. While I won't credit Tanked for getting into the hobby, I can't say it didn't play a part in at least keeping me. Our hobby has really innovated over the last 10-15 years. Maybe not directly due to Tanked, but for every additional reefer in the hobby, companies are willing to invest that much more in R&D. For that, I think I can thank Tanked.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This show most likely led to needless deaths of many saltwater critters because it basically demonstrated very little to nothing in regards to actual tank preparation for the addition of livestock and how to care for them afterwards. In this case, making it look easy is a REALLY bad idea knowing the average rube isn’t going to go beyond the info in the show, plop a “dory” into a 10 gallon petsmart tank like a betta and expect it to survive just because it has sand, salt water and cheap plastic decor...
While I agree that it did no benefit in that regard, countless folks including many on this board have and wouldnhave made similarly poor decisions on when and how to add fish and coral.

Look how many posts there are on here that say, "My LFS said...".

Also, waiting 3+ months to add fish isn't good for TV when the show relies on grand reveals. Not saying that's rught, but it is the reason.

While people want to criticise them for their work and knowledge, let's be real. You don't become the #1 builder by producing garbage. Word gets around.

Last edited:

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is also important to point out that these guys are tank builders. If you actually pay attention, they subcontract out most of the fish stuff to other companies. Even their own store sub contracts out to maintanence companies. I think you can blame Animal Planet just as much as the ATM crew for the valid concerns about fish health.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't blame them for anything as I never looked at the show as how to care for proper fish. I think some people assume that if they didn't like the show that it was for that specific reason.
Because that's the overwhelming theme in every Tanked thread.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because that's the overwhelming theme in every Tanked thread.
It's still an assumption though and I was pretty clear on my view. I don't agree on throwing all those fish in at once but who truly knows what happened behind the scenes. I actually have there autographs but again, I don't care for the show for reasons that have nothing to do with the hobby. It just couldn't keep my attention.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back