OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Novel, but I can't imagine having a deeper tank, then cutting off my corals' vertical growth potential to make like they were growing in a little tank. (I like big colonies!) I also can't imagine permanently shading off all that space under the shelf. YMMV, obviously! :)

$0.02

That is a great point. What I like is I can always add and go vertical.

ptreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice setup. not a huge fan of the shelf as it looks so plain and simple.....now

However it will probably be sweet no matter as the sps get big and pretty much all you see is BIG colonies!!

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice setup. not a huge fan of the shelf as it looks so plain and simple.....now

However it will probably be sweet no matter as the sps get big and pretty much all you see is BIG colonies!!

I totally agree. In my last design the rock work for very astatically pleasing initially. However, it was not functional as the corals grew. The caves took up too much space and the corals were growing out of the water. Initially this design is tough to look at, however, what I am looking at is functionality.

There is a ton of space and will be able to maximize the entire footprint of the tank with scalability to go vertical down the road as corals table out. Like you said, just need to visualize it full of stix.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is rocking, I purchased some RR Asia Colonies that came in cold and are now starting to get color back. Pictured also are some of my back-up frags that have turned into colonies.

Hardware updates:
I moved out 4 ATI blue Plus and added 4 ATI Actinic
I removed the 60 degree optics and added 80.

My phosphates also got up to .2 with the new rock so I threw some GFO in where it runs every other day. Phos is not down to .01

I am still getting use to the new lights but below are some new pics.
030120153.JPG

030120158.JPG

030120159.JPG

0301201510.JPG

0301201511.JPG

0301201512.JPG

0301201513.JPG

0301201514.JPG

0301201516.JPG

0301201517.JPG

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I love the aquascape, and the plan to grow these into huge, tall colonies. I really enjoyed watching your last build. Can't wait to see these sticks grow!

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome TDB. just read all up your old thread, and following on this too.what parameter you keep at this built?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a stick heaven! I like your lights as well, I am running a combo of LED and Halide. My theory is that LED is best suited for a particular spectrum, Blue, Royal Blue, Violet... in my experience mixing many LED's to cover the full spectrum of visible light was less successful.

OP
OP
CoralFragZ

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a stick heaven! I like your lights as well, I am running a combo of LED and Halide. My theory is that LED is best suited for a particular spectrum, Blue, Royal Blue, Violet... in my experience mixing many LED's to cover the full spectrum of visible light was less successful.

Thanks! I have had very good luck growing SPS with commodity led fixtures and had much faster growth of corals under them. I have moved to Radiums and ATI blue plus T5's and have the most incredible color I have yet to see in SPS corals. I enjoy the florescent pop of led blues and for those reason run LED's in the morning and evening for 2 hours.

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely incredible. Feeling inspired, this is what I want my tank to look like! I was skeptical about the shelf rock until I saw it starting to grow, this might be something I keep in the hip pocket for next build, really really like the aquascape. Where did you get the shelf rock, Marcos as well?

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! It's pretty densely packed, what do you plan on doing once they start growing together? Will you be actively fragging or just letting nature run its course?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back