Test kit suggestions

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,
Im looking for suggestions on accurate kits with focus on tests that do NOT rely on color comparisons.
Im a noob with marine aquarium chemistry. I am however a professional certified pool operator so im very familiar with water chemistry and different test kits and the levels of accuracy between comparison, end point color change and dropwise testing. My favorite at work is an end point color change with super accurate results. Im not shy about complicated test processes or adding multiple reagents for maximum accuracy. Im also not expectng the best to come as the most inexpensive.

My goal is to build my current 75g (canister filter) fowlr (live rock is still seeding) into a tank that can hold an anemonie, some macro algaes and maybe compatible corals that are easy. I just started adding reef complete and have a seachem calcium test kit arriving in a few days. Im also adding coralline purple and pink to seed and crust the rocks i hope. Ive read this needs an elevated level of mag and stramonium. Are these able to be tested with kits other than color comparators? Is it even that important of an aspect that i would neeed an accurate test or is an approxmate acceptable in the hobby?

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend Hanna Instruments, I currently use their multi-parameter testing kit, it costs HI91775 Photometer, Hanna is known for their accuracy and precision. The test kit can be found BRS, and other online retailers, here is the link:
it also includes bluetooth compatibility, an app, and stores your test results in the cloud (when connected to the app on your phone)

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,
Im looking for suggestions on accurate kits with focus on tests that do NOT rely on color comparisons.
Im a noob with marine aquarium chemistry. I am however a professional certified pool operator so im very familiar with water chemistry and different test kits and the levels of accuracy between comparison, end point color change and dropwise testing. My favorite at work is an end point color change with super accurate results. Im not shy about complicated test processes or adding multiple reagents for maximum accuracy. Im also not expectng the best to come as the most inexpensive.

My goal is to build my current 75g (canister filter) fowlr (live rock is still seeding) into a tank that can hold an anemonie, some macro algaes and maybe compatible corals that are easy. I just started adding reef complete and have a seachem calcium test kit arriving in a few days. Im also adding coralline purple and pink to seed and crust the rocks i hope. Ive read this needs an elevated level of mag and stramonium. Are these able to be tested with kits other than color comparators? Is it even that important of an aspect that i would neeed an accurate test or is an approxmate acceptable in the hobby?
I highly recommend Hanna! They are a little pricey, but very worth it. I use them for the big 4, PH, ALK, Nitrate, and Phosphate. I use Salifert for everything else.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not even thought about automation. What a curve ball! Now i need to check accuracy reports for this. Thank you so much for the idea!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna spits out a number for all tests.
the red sea pro kits are alk, calcium and magnesium in 1. Titrate to color change for all 3.
Most, all?, no3 and po4 kits require color comparison.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive now been hit with 2 unexpected suggestions on the tests. I like the digital tools i use professionally.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,
My favorite at work is an end point color change with super accurate results. Im not shy about complicated test processes or adding multiple reagents for maximum accuracy.

Just a comment on that particular issue.

Calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are usually end point titrations, whether by color or by measured pH (for alk).

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, pH (by kit) and some others are generally color matching. I am not aware of any of these that are endoint titrations that are DIY kits.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for accuracy, then Hanna ALK, HR Nitrate and UL Phosphorus are in my experience, excellent.
However their MG and CA have not worked well at all.

While the ALK and nitrate checkers can be tested with Salifert just as accurate, their UL Checker I have yet to find a better unit, phosphate in our waters are super super low and this Hanna (and it’s cousin the UL phosphate) can read those tiny traces, or at least, the results I have received appear to mimic an ICP.

MG and CA can again read easily with a distinct colour change and the Hanna’s always read on the higher end. Some suggest that the sample size is too too small for accurate readings.

Aquaforest MG was equal to Salifert.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hands shake. Badly. So I had to sell my Hanna. No way I can get that powder in the vial. Salifert works great for everything, except Nyos for phosphate because it can go very low and the color change chart makes it much easier than others.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hannah for low range P. Salifert for alk, calcium and nitrate. I have a Hannah Nitrate Checker, but never use it... too hard and it just says near zoer and the salifert can do that.

Most of these use the same methods as the others, they just do it differently. Other than the Hannah for low range P, the differences amount to a hill of beans to me on the elements that I test. Salifert are cheap, consistent and easy to use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back