Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna tester arrived today and here are the first results:

Red Sea Nitrate Pro (high range): between 12 and 16.

Hanna Nitrite ULR method: 14.15.

Had to dilute the reacted solution by 2 (added 10ml tank water) and then got a reading of 149.

Not bad! ;Joyful

I've put in a preorder for the GHL ION Director which also measures Nitrates. This is great because it gives me a way to test the ION Director Nitrate measurement without trying to guess colours.

Great! thank you for letting me know.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little late to the party...I see the video used the ULR phosphorus tester but that everyone seems to be buying the Nitrite tester. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little late to the party...I see the video used the ULR phosphorus tester but that everyone seems to be buying the Nitrite tester. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

The nitrate tester is the one that you will want to use. The video was made for another posting using the using the phosphorus checker the procedure is essentially the same the regressions of course are different so you will want to use the nitrate tester

Luigi66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate tester is the one that you will want to use. The video was made for another posting using the using the phosphorus checker the procedure is essentially the same the regressions of course are different so you will want to use the nitrate tester

Hi Rick, I read your discussion with great interest, I have a couple of questions to ask you,
Could this test work on fresh water?
I did not understand what the regression curve would be to apply to the HI-764 ULR detector.
Greetings from Italy.

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rick, I read your discussion with great interest, I have a couple of questions to ask you,
Could this test work on fresh water?
I did not understand what the regression curve would be to apply to the HI-764 ULR detector.
Greetings from Italy.

Greetings from The US!

This method should work for fresh water but you should confirm the regression formula (Y= 0.04581221*x + 0.5017498 ) using known samples in fresh water to be sure ....I ran an experiment that indicated that salinity was not a factor (see Chart), but it was not replicated...only one set of tests. Would be interested in what you find out.

1580223822338.png

tdg0910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirming, I may have overlooked something. the HI764 can only test up to 9.66 because the max range is 200ppb, correct?

OP
OP
Rick Mathew

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirming, I may have overlooked something. the HI764 can only test up to 9.66 because the max range is 200ppb, correct?

Actually you can go higher it just takes an extra step...If you max out the meter..200 or over dilute the measure sample by 50% Then re-measure the sample and multiply the meter reading by 2 and enter the results into the regression formula...this will expand the range to around 20ppm...I have had feed back using this dilution method of good measurement up to 40ppm...hope this helps

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back