Test results by a n00b and confused

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and going thru the cycling process. If I'm reading everything right I'm confused on how I have zero nitrite and .25 ammonia. I was under the impression that when ammonia is being consumed nitrite would go up but I have the reverse happening. Any thoughts? TIA

Anthony
0414202119.jpg
0414202119a.jpg
0414202119b.jpg

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been cycling? Generally if you have nitrates, and 0 nitrites your cycled. but lets put a pin in that. did you use any bacteria in a bottle? Dr tims or fritz turbo start? also be careful with ammonia tests kits they are not very accurate all the time, there really are good. better and best when it comes to test kits.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ammonia nitrites then nitrates, end of cycle shouldn’t show first two. I think I’ve read where api? Ammonia isn’t always correct may show false low number. Have a local LFS test your water to be sure. What kits you using?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait until you see algae. It’s way simpler that way. Wait until you see green hair algae to be extra sure

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have nitrates so you are past the nitrite stage. I always showed low ammonia with api test which was always false and really zero when checked with a better test kit. Just stock slowly.

OP
OP
U

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been cycling? Generally if you have nitrates, and 0 nitrites your cycled. but lets put a pin in that. did you use any bacteria in a bottle? Dr tims or fritz turbo start? also be careful with ammonia tests kits they are not very accurate all the time, there really are good. better and best when it comes to test kits.
Been cycling a long time. 6 weeks?... I killed two fish this weekend, see my other thread. It was a stupid and sad mistake.... I believe where I screwed up, besides putting them in, is over dosed ammonium chloride and the bacteria, Dr Tim's, didn't eat it all. I added more bacteria with no ammonium chloride and 24 hours later this was the test results. What is a better choice to test for ammonia? Don't want to kill another fish due to a rookie mistake again.

OP
OP
U

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ammonia nitrites then nitrates, end of cycle shouldn’t show first two. I think I’ve read where api? Ammonia isn’t always correct may show false low number. Have a local LFS test your water to be sure. What kits you using?
My LFS owner is very knowledgeable but... Each time I've asked him to look at my parameters he hasn't. If nothing changes in a week I'll push the issue and ask him to test my water. Good idea, hadn't thought about asking to test it.

Using API test kit.

OP
OP
U

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait until you see algae. It’s way simpler that way. Wait until you see green hair algae to be extra sure
I've been cycling with no light. From what I remember reading this way I don't get the algae during the cycling stage... Not sure how right or wrong that is?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cycling with no light. From what I remember reading this way I don't get the algae during the cycling stage... Not sure how right or wrong that is?

Oh, smart! That’s what I’ll be doing for my next build. You’ll still get some algae but I’ve heard it’s a lot better

christian321uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your filtration? do you have lots of liverock? i would turn on the lights now to start of the algae bloom. all tabks go through this and would rather start off now and get done with it. for six weeks with bacteria supplement i think you should be done with cycling. the ammonia reading might just be off. i would put 1 fish thats healthy and eating now but thats me :) let see what the others are thinking.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you've been cycling for a month... you're cycled! Congrats!

Your test results show this as well...high nitrates, so there ammonia had been converted. API ammonia test kits almost always continue to show 0.25ppm even when it's zero. I like Red Sea ammonia test kit.

Start slow and only add one fish every 3-4 weeks. You can turn on the lights now and you should see thes rocks get a shade of green algae start growing.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is notorious to show a false ammonia reading. Just slowly add fish and livestock and you should be fine, 6 weeks is more than enough to cycle a tank.

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller the tank, the less forgiving it is.
Do your water change on weekly base, use rodi water. api test are ok to use.
Do you have skimmer? old method to cycle used to be dropping raw shrimp in the tank. 1 month is not enough time.
If you want to add fish I would start with Blue Damselfish

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back