Tetrasoma Gibbosus - the Hovercraft cowfish.

killyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago, I kept a large specimen of this fish in my fish only tank and it thrived for several years with no issues (apart from getting a bit fed up with the cleaner wrasses' attentions!), and yet today I see dire warnings that they will poison your whole tank at the merest provocation. When my fish died, he still didn't exude any toxins into the tank as far as I know and I just removed his body from the tank and gave him a decent burial! The same can also be said about boxfishes, such as Ostracion cubicus - anyone here have any experience of this please?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a spotted cow fish before, when it died it didn't wipe out the tank. It had a ton of personality and got along great with the orbic batfish and everything else in the tank

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cubicus on the want list, but have always been wary of the whole toxin warning. Glad to read stories where folks have been successful. Just wish we had more details from those who have experienced some toxin event to learn from for other to avoid.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back