Thanks for having me!

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll spare the ol' Woody Allen joke. Hi, I'm Kurt and I'm looking out back and Dottie is sitting on a log near the pond edge soaking up some rays as it's getting closer to the time she brumates under water most of the winter. I wish I could hibernate. That's why I'm starting my Reefer G-2 XL 625 to give me something to do during the cold months. I've kept fresh water tropical fish for most of my life. I looked at converting my old 240 gal Clarity Plus to a mini-reef around 2005. Oh thank God I didn't do that! Yes, people were having success back then, but I would say many more weren't. Checking display tanks in many of the local stores at that time, weren't encouraging. A lot of invert. livestock was shrinking rather than thriving. I made a number of trips over to check out the algae scrubber based live reef at the Smithsonian Hall of Natural History. I was surprised at how bad it looked. Julian Sprung noticed and I decided on waiting on this project, things needed improvement. With much better lighting systems, emphasizing both protein skimmers and a good supply of live rock and sand, the tanks are looking so much better today. So, now I'm a newbee and wish me luck. It's interesting that most of my life hobbies have been the joining of biology with art. That's definitely me. Now, it's time to clean up antique bird and marine-life prints to make room for the tank. Thank you, Kurt

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll spare the ol' Woody Allen joke. Hi, I'm Kurt and I'm looking out back and Dottie is sitting on a log near the pond edge soaking up some rays as it's getting closer to the time she brumates under water most of the winter. I wish I could hibernate. That's why I'm starting my Reefer G-2 XL 625 to give me something to do during the cold months. I've kept fresh water tropical fish for most of my life. I looked at converting my old 240 gal Clarity Plus to a mini-reef around 2005. Oh thank God I didn't do that! Yes, people were having success back then, but I would say many more weren't. Checking display tanks in many of the local stores at that time, weren't encouraging. A lot of invert. livestock was shrinking rather than thriving. I made a number of trips over to check out the algae scrubber based live reef at the Smithsonian Hall of Natural History. I was surprised at how bad it looked. Julian Sprung noticed and I decided on waiting on this project, things needed improvement. With much better lighting systems, emphasizing both protein skimmers and a good supply of live rock and sand, the tanks are looking so much better today. So, now I'm a newbee and wish me luck. It's interesting that most of my life hobbies have been the joining of biology with art. That's definitely me. Now, it's time to clean up antique bird and marine-life prints to make room for the tank. Thank you, Kurt

Hi Kurt and Welcome! Glad you joined. Agree lots of changes for the better over time.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Potomac:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef Kurt!!
Thanks Kristopher, I kind of feel like Jeremy Clarkson. He's a Brit race car driver and comedian, who put out this show about a year ago. He's a gentleman farmer And knows s&%$ about farming. I believe it's on HBO \MAX, but you should be able to find, if you hadn't seen it on one of the big streamers. The whole season is, oh what did the poor boy do now? I hope I don't become another Jeremy. Cheers, Kurt w/ an IPA, ( might be sacrilege, but I hate Guinness, too bitter!

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great to have you and indeed there is as much art as science in this hobby and trust you will prosper!

01C167B6-98FC-41EC-9EDA-742DFAA31B24_4_5005_c.jpeg
Hi bnord
It is great to have you and indeed there is as much art as science in this hobby and trust you will prosper!

01C167B6-98FC-41EC-9EDA-742DFAA31B24_4_5005_c.jpeg
Is that the Arnold?

Back