The API AquaSpin is it worth it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you need any of the other parameters aside from nitrate if you only keep soft corals? Glad you love it btw!
So for cycling it’s great and I’ve been cycling a lot of aquariums lately lol and I like to check out of curiosity where the numbers are so that’s another reason I use it a lot and really like it. I have my pufferfish tank, school tank, quarantine tank, reef tank, etc. I am resetting up my pufferfish tank since it leaked. It depends on your own goals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Keep in mind that the Hanna Multi Tester only does one test at a time so will take longer to do same batch of tests over the individual eggs,,, which allow you to kind of overlap all of your tests (somewhat).
Yes one at a time but no cleaning multi vials and packing away one to go to the next egg and most of the tests are instant results following the on screen menu

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well I think my time on the thread has expired because all I was trying to do was point out the downsides to the purchase and make him aware other similar, possibly much better products are out there for much cheaper. I think I've accomplished that by now.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I linked a post above with one man's personal experience testing a new kit he bought although I'm sure you would do more while assessing it. A lot of people also forget the importance of calibrating machines such as this as often as possible which really is important for accuracy. Even professional spectrophotometers I've personally worked with need to be frequently recalibrated. Have you looked at the spectrophotometer Hanna sells?
I have not looked the Hanna version because I have all the individual photometers

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant to post this screenshot just to show it's accuracy from the above thread.
Screenshot_2023-06-04-03-24-33-112_com.android.chrome.jpg
Thanks. The same thing with a reference standard would have addressed the accuracy question though it does track well with the other devices. The variability looks acceptable for this batch of disks.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes one at a time but no cleaning multi vials and packing away one to go to the next egg and most of the tests are instant results following the on screen menu
I assumed that each test with the Multi Tester used the same reagent + shake time + wait time for reaction before reading as the individual checkers. *Is that incorrect?

Sorry to OP for tangent from API AquaSpin

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The same thing with a reference standard would have addressed the accuracy question though it does track well with the other devices. The variability looks acceptable for this batch of disks.
There's always a standard error. The variance and standard deviation are just too high for me to personally drop $900 on it. There are use lab grade spectrophotometers (more advanced than Photometers) for that price.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd assume you do have to take the 2 minutes to mix the regent but don't own one. I simply don't see how that could be such a deal breaker. It's a $500 difference + future costs.
I assumed that each test with the Multi Tester used the same reagent + shake time + wait time for reaction before reading as the individual checkers. *Is that incorrect?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

You need one tube with zero reading water and can use it for each test and then just drops or agent for each test which goes by quick. Only the alk has a timer- all the rest are instant.

mobilemiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been some who have purchased this and not happy and some who like it. Yes, there is a shortage of cartridges from LaMotte who has gone from the market. I like the review made by Reef Breeders below. Also member @AydenLincoln owns one

i have been contemplating buying this. some websites say this is discontinued. is this true? love the ease but dont want to spend over a grand for something that i wont be able to get discs for.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i have been contemplating buying this. some websites say this is discontinued. is this true? love the ease but dont want to spend over a grand for something that i wont be able to get discs for.
It was owned by LaMotte which is no longer. The units and discs are hard to find and even the secondary market discs are getting pricey and I hear more complaints about false readings than accurate as this is in essence another Api brand test kit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One decimal point is enough IMHO.
For phosphate, one can probably make do, but is "making do? the goal when buying an expensive piece of equipment?

For example, suppose you have a true 0.05 ppm, which is fine. Even if it has perfect accuracy, is it going to read as 0?

AustinJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya that was a while ago. there in stock readily available.
Would you clarify "Readily Available" means???

Last time I check, they don't even sell it to us... I've been looking for one so bad... but they only sell to store owners. So I'm not sure where the "Readily Available" comes from as it's not a for Open Market???

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo walk up to your tank if everything looks good keep walking. Don’t chase numbers if everything looks goooooooood

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 86 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back