*The Bernese Mountain Dog Build*

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiancé and I bought a new house in August and I haven't stopped thinking about a new tank since!

I've been begging the future wife to let me buy a new tank and she has been begging me to agree to a new dog. I secretly wanted a new puppy and she was secretly planning on buying me the tank as a wedding gift...

So we now have a new puppy and are preparing to set up a 180!!

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the finished stand in the final resting place.

The new tank is going in my office/what should be a dining room, and can immediately be seen when walking in the front door. I wanted to put the tank in our family room where my 75G is located, but the office location makes for a much better spot.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting something different then the 5 gallon bucket I was using for my ATO reservoir so I bought a 10 gallon ATO reservoir from SynergyReef!

It is very nice and is going to work out great on the new tank. It's currently being used on the 75 with an Avast Barrel Tender.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too long ago I switched up my RO/DI trashcan reservoirs and set up a new system. The RO system feeds my Barrel Tender. I would like to setup an auto water change system but am undecided on how I want to go about it. The biggest issue is having my RO system on the second floor of the house. It's about 12' feet up and 25' over.

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a nice looking cabinet. I am just wondering if you have provided some kind of support on the back of the cabinet to prevent racking left or right? Normally I would expect to see a panel (plywood) to provide this support.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made a nice looking cabinet. I am just wondering if you have provided some kind of support on the back of the cabinet to prevent racking left or right? Normally I would expect to see a panel (plywood) to provide this support.

It's actually hard to see, but there are two supports in the back of the stand. My picture was taken at the right angle where you can't see either!

I didn't plan on putting a panel on the back as I haven't for the other stands I've built. The structure is made out of oak and is pretty strong. Do you think it will be a problem?

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually hard to see, but there are two supports in the back of the stand. My picture was taken at the right angle where you can't see either!

I didn't plan on putting a panel on the back as I haven't for the other stands I've built. The structure is made out of oak and is pretty strong. Do you think it will be a problem?
I do woodworking as well and oak sure is strong. As long as the supports are wide enough to prevent racking, I would not worry about it. If you have any doubts, you could add a diagonal support in the upper corners. I always slap a panel on, but I make mine out of 2 by stock, then face it with the dressed wood.

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps. Love the bernese pup. They are a beautiful dog, but too big for my little property. Plus I am partial to terriers. I have 2 cairn terriers and they have attutude. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Can't wait to see the progress photos

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do woodworking as well and oak sure is strong. As long as the supports are wide enough to prevent racking, I would not worry about it. If you have any doubts, you could add a diagonal support in the upper corners. I always slap a panel on, but I make mine out of 2 by stock, then face it with the dressed wood.

I definitely appreciate the advice! I don't think there will be an issue, but since you brought up the possible issue, I'll probably add some extra bracing just in case.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my house was that neat and clean! I just have aquarium litter everywhere.

Haha, Thanks! But it's definitely not as neat and clean as it looks!

Ps. Love the bernese pup. They are a beautiful dog, but too big for my little property. Plus I am partial to terriers. I have 2 cairn terriers and they have attutude. :)

Thanks! She is really great. My mom actually has one too!

Very cool! Can't wait to see the progress photos

Thanks! I have some things on order that should start arriving this week.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, enough about the tank for a minute; I want pictures of the dog! (I have Saint Bernards, and love the Bernese Mountain Dogs, too)

Hahaha! I love Saint Bernards! We used to have an English Mastiff so we're definitely partial to larger breeds. And since you asked....!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back