The BRS 160: 10 Weeks of the Triton Method | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would any of you guys have a rough estimate of what it might cost to run the Triton method on, approximately, a 400 gallon system? I'm sure that might be tough to answer being its most likely dependant on bio load but perhaps some one can toss me an example?

That's got to be one of the hardest questions to answer about the Triton Method, as every tank and each person's coral choices are going to be vastly different, meaning that consumption amounts of the Core7 elements are also going to be vastly different. If it's any consolation, we dose about 50mL of each 1, 2, 3a, 3b component on a daily schedule; each of which come in 1000mL bottles or 10L jugs.

So that’s 1000/50=20 days. So every 20 days they spend $78.00 in components for an around 200g system. That’s a lot of money.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that’s 1000/50=20 days. So every 20 days they spend $78.00 in components for an around 200g system. That’s a lot of money.

The Core7 Base Elements we use for the BRS160 is priced at $52/1000mL.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/core7-base-elements-triton-method.html

$50-$60 per month really isn't much more than some reefers spend on water, salts, trace elements, etc. for other approaches to major, minor and trace element supplementation. That said, for some reefers the Triton Method may not be the most cost effective way for them to maintain water parameters. :)

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I've been following the videos of the BRS160 so I got a few question for you guys:

Why you changed the Return Pump, I think you where using a Vectra L1?

Do you use something to stop the chaeto entering into the pumps (skimmer / return)?

When you said you dose about 50mL of each 1, 2, 3a, 3b component on a daily schedule, do you mean the original base or core 7 base?

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I've been following the videos of the BRS160 so I got a few question for you guys:

Why you changed the Return Pump, I think you where using a Vectra L1?
When we opted to run the Triton Method we needed a pump that was capable of providing 10x turnover through the system. We originally had the Vectra M1, which worked well for us but wasn't capable of providing the additional flow we needed for 160gal. Since Ryan is a gear junkie, if we were going to change the pump out for a more powerful one he wanted a chance to use the Abyzz pump instead!

Do you use something to stop the chaeto entering into the pumps (skimmer / return)?
In one of our BRS160 update videos we showed how we converted the tank over to the Triton Method and I believe we showed a blue filter pad that keeps algae from leaving the fuge and getting into the pump. It is this stuff on our site. :) https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamesh-blue-3.html

When you said you dose about 50mL of each 1, 2, 3a, 3b component on a daily schedule, do you mean the original base or core 7 base?
We only use the Triton Core7 Base Elements which is concentrated and better fits our dosing demands. :)

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thanks for responding my questions, after I saw the video again, I didn't find in your setup where the blue filter pad was, it is after the refugium or after the skimmer? the video mentions the Trigger Triton 44 sump and that one uses a tiny mesh just before the return pump, is the BRS 160 is like that?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thanks for responding my questions, after I saw the video again, I didn't find in your setup where the blue filter pad was, it is after the refugium or after the skimmer? the video mentions the Trigger Triton 44 sump and that one uses a tiny mesh just before the return pump, is the BRS 160 is like that?

It is directly after the fuge, before the skimmer chamber. :)

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, it is as in the Trigger Triton 44, in other words just a tiny piece that prevents the chaeto to get in the skimmer area.

Is a tiny piece or a huge mesh?

The reason why I'm asking a lot about this mesh is because in my case a tiny piece of mesh is enough to keep my system to 0.00 nitrates which bleaches my corals, kind of weird isn't it.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, it is as in the Trigger Triton 44, in other words just a tiny piece that prevents the chaeto to get in the skimmer area.
Is a tiny piece or a huge mesh?
The reason why I'm asking a lot about this mesh is because in my case a tiny piece of mesh is enough to keep my system to 0.00 nitrates which bleaches my corals, kind of weird isn't it.

We use the entire piece as sort of a full extra baffle, right next to the fuge chamber. That mesh measures 19.5"W x 24"L x 1.5"Thick and we nearly use the entire panel on our customized Synergy Reef sump.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Randy, by the way, if you could create a video showing different filtration sponges, filtration socks from different sizes and how they remove nitrates as you did with your chaeto + lights video that would be cool.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Randy, by the way, if you could create a video showing different filtration sponges, filtration socks from different sizes and how they remove nitrates as you did with your chaeto + lights video that would be cool.

No problem. Here's one we did about filter socks and their effectiveness on nutrients. :)

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys only run the refugium light 3 days/week do you feel it was a mistake cutting the first chamber to make that section larger?

Do you guys have a goal nitrate number that you will be trying to reach and how fast are you going to get there? A video on this would be useful but I guess a comment would do. ;)

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys only run the refugium light 3 days/week do you feel it was a mistake cutting the first chamber to make that section larger?
Do you guys have a goal nitrate number that you will be trying to reach and how fast are you going to get there? A video on this would be useful but I guess a comment would do. ;)

I don't know if decreasing the size of the refugium would decrease it's effectiveness, especially with the minimal amount we added by expanding to include that small chamber. Check out this recent BRS160 update where Ryan shares his goals for nitrate and phosphate and how we plan to get there. :)

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the video, they only test alkalinity, phosphates and nitrates, the other tests are done by sending the water sample to be analyzed by triton labs which will analyze like hundreds or so of minerals.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I thought it would be interesting to see a tank with chaeto vs a tank which is carbon dosed eg NOPOX. Which one will remove NO3 and PO4 the quickest and how will the ratios in nutrients change over time.
Thanks

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they only test alkalinity, phosphates and nitrates

This is good because alk, and especially the oxidized NO3 and PO4, change daily while in the mail, so you don't get an accurate reading by the test company. Ammonia in particular changes hourly... so much so that reef studies taking water samples must test the water as soon as it's pulled up onto the boat (waiting to get to shore would be too late).

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good because alk, and especially the oxidized NO3 and PO4, change daily while in the mail, so you don't get an accurate reading by the test company. Ammonia in particular changes hourly... so much so that reef studies taking water samples must test the water as soon as it's pulled up onto the boat (waiting to get to shore would be too late).

I forgot to mention that they also test NH3 and par with a usb device called seneye, they also test salinity because with triton method salinity climbs over time as with two parts systems, also they read pH and ORP.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I missing something or when you are doing this method you are only testing for alkalinity and not Cal &/or Mag?

We test for Alk on a daily basis and Ca/Mg/NO3/PO4 on a weekly basis. We also send in a monthly Triton test. The Triton Method doesn't lay out specifically what/when you need to test, however we find that it's easiest to make adjustments as needed using the testing schedule we currently run. So, if Alk is a bit down we can assume by equal ratios and balance in the tank that the others could also be down, in which case we adjust the dose equally across all four components.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you having to trim back the Cheato and how significant a trimming is it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back