The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may dose between 2,4 and 24ml EZtrace per day. Use your Mg level to determine the right dosing.
57e633d8b4a7214b70bb1c17b97d9841.jpg
d28a68ea0a849125407934643ad061ac.jpg

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tnx, sorry for stupid question, didnt have wifi where I was skiing, so I couldnt download exell for iphone... so I will be monitoring my mg and dosing dsr trace.
Thank you!

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking good 5 days of trace dosing.. I am happy and corals too... all parameters are ok exept my phosphates drops to 0 after 24 hours, then I dose and rises to 0.06 ppm. 16-20 on hanna phosphorus. Do I dose more or leave it like this, so I dont overdose phosphates?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking good 5 days of trace dosing.. I am happy and corals too... all parameters are ok exept my phosphates drops to 0 after 24 hours, then I dose and rises to 0.06 ppm. 16-20 on hanna phosphorus. Do I dose more or leave it like this, so I dont overdose phosphates?
Before you start you start dosing PO4 make sure: 1- you don't have an algea problem.
2- your cleaning crew can handle any algae that pop up in time.
3- you see your corals require it. (Tissue bleaching followed by RTN)

When you've been deficient on PO4 for a while you system will absorb any PO4 you dose quite easily. So it may take a while to get a stable reading. Check how your system react by measuring every other day to learn more about the tank dynamics.
Once you know how your system behave you may measure once a week or even once bi-weekly.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Glennf for clearing that out for me, 1,2,and 3 checked, I have calculated and retested and recalculated my po4 dosing and comsumption and its stable at this time,. Stn has stoped or Looks like it stoped,
Po4 is max 20 and low 3 in 24 hour period. I will test it regularry. Thank you Glennf for answear! Have a nice evening.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and Glennf! Again me, one question , ez calcium also contains strontium and since I dont add ez calcium I will be adding strontium cloride hexaditrate. Will this be ok, I think so. I have read this post is this calculation correct?
Strontium has an atomic mass of 87.62. Strontium chloride hexahydrate has a molecular weight of 266.61. So, SrCl2*6H2O is just about 1/3 strontium. For 10g/L Sr, you would add 30 g/L of your strontium chloride hexahydrate.

More accurately, factoring in your 99.68% purity, you would need 10 * 266.61 / 87.62 / 0.9968 = 30.53 g per liter SrCl2*6H2O to provide 10,000 mg/L of Sr.
But this mixture is too hard for me, so I would mixed 3.53 g per L so I would get 1000ppm in a liter..and start dosing 1ppm or 1ml of my solution daily.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and Glennf! Again me, one question , ez calcium also contains strontium and since I dont add ez calcium I will be adding strontium cloride hexaditrate. Will this be ok, I think so. I have read this post is this calculation correct?

But this mixture is too hard for me, so I would mixed 3.53 g per L so I would get 1000ppm in a liter..and start dosing 1ppm or 1ml of my solution daily.
The problem wirh most strontium is that there are to much impurities present.
Most annoying is Barium, we already have a surplus by (dry) food. So we avoid adding them in impurities.
It seems to much barium may cause cyano outbreak according to some reefers.
I can't confirm nor contradict that, because i avoid barium polluted strontium.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you Glennf for calculator linkjust to clear this purity out. I have 3 fammily members in 2 pharmacetic companies,2 uncles and aunt, one of them is doctor of chemistry and director of chemical institute and he also teaches students all over the world, so I can get purest chemicals there is out there. This is not a problem for me.. And best thing is that they are free...

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing this trace ex is just ammayzing! Corals that didnt grow from beginning, allmost year ago, are gain 2x off mass... in 14 days...I cant belive it..this 2 coral colonies were hidden in a rock, but now they are growing... I dose only 2,1 ml per day for now, mg is steady 1430... I am also telling people hire in Slovenia about DSR on our fb reef sites and they are showing interests in DSR, specially seaflower has good shipping prices:)

8CCCBB51-165A-4C63-A35C-8EFD1EFE05FA.jpeg

044F60F4-B3C2-4535-99DD-DE4E1A5EB97C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you Glennf for calculator linkjust to clear this purity out. I have 3 fammily members in 2 pharmacetic companies,2 uncles and aunt, one of them is doctor of chemistry and director of chemical institute and he also teaches students all over the world, so I can get purest chemicals there is out there. This is not a problem for me.. And best thing is that they are free...
Oh.. that is very nice you have acces to pure stuff.
Because i saw a few failures because because people asume all chemicals are the "same" purity.

Sometimes the key to succes could even be to deviate from previous assumptions. Just like the assumption WC are the only way for succesfull reefing.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing this trace ex is just ammayzing! Corals that didnt grow from beginning, allmost year ago, are gain 2x off mass... in 14 days...I cant belive it..this 2 coral colonies were hidden in a rock, but now they are growing... I dose only 2,1 ml per day for now, mg is steady 1430... I am also telling people hire in Slovenia about DSR on our fb reef sites and they are showing interests in DSR, specially seaflower has good shipping prices:)

8CCCBB51-165A-4C63-A35C-8EFD1EFE05FA.jpeg

044F60F4-B3C2-4535-99DD-DE4E1A5EB97C.jpeg
Reefing is about creating te right condition.
After gettimg control over nutrient level and getting the right Light setup the next step is the minor elements.

EZTrace is my interpretation of easily adding a single mixture of those elements that realy matters.

Glad to hear that this work out fine for your tank to. What you do things that really matters you can see it within 4 days.

Last edited:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but never thought that it will be such a difference and my po4 is also in a range:) Also I finnaly recived potassium test from salifert 30 minutes ago and its 370, so I am happy with that,:) I just dosed a little kalium , for rest ez trace will take care of itthank you Mr. Glennf you are my idol in a reef world.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but never thought that it will be such a difference and my po4 is also in a range:) Also I finnaly recived potassium test from salifert 30 minutes ago and its 370, so I am happy with that,:) I just dosed a little kalium , for rest ez trace will take care of itthank you Mr. Glennf you are my idol in a reef world.
Salifert potassium test is very [emoji106]
When things goes your way reefing is just an amazing hobby. To see how things develop is mindblowing...
Yes ...with EZTrace all essential elements are dosed according DSR standard ( no heavy metals, only proven essentials)

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and now I have no fear of adding more expensive corals...only one question remains I will get rid of refugium so maybee my nitrates will raise and then I will have to add nitrate remover, I saw you had zeolite, so do I go this path? Or maybee vodka path? I have spare reactors for media... or maybee none if tank is capable to maintain no3 at desired numbers..

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and now I have no fear of adding more expensive corals...only one question remains I will get rid of refugium so maybee my nitrates will raise and then I will have to add nitrate remover, I saw you had zeolite, so do I go this path? Or maybee vodka path? I have spare reactors for media... or maybee none if tank is capable to maintain no3 at desired numbers..

8n the past i used some zeolite stones, but i removed theme in 2016 because i wanted a "lean" system to minimize maintenance.

There are many ways to keep nutrients in check.
Vodka, Vinegar, Sugar, Honey,
The DSR way is Iron dosing for PO4 (Fe+)
Vinegar/Sugar dosing for NO3 (CarbonVS)

In the EZ methode it's combined for both together (EZCarbon)

These are the essentials for a DSR system
http://www.DSRreefing.com/technics

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot that no reactors are used...so If I only need to remove no3 I ll be using vodka and thats it.. thank you!

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot that no reactors are used...so If I only need to remove no3 I ll be using vodka and thats it.. thank you!
That's so typical about DSR. It's requires minimum appliances and rely more on knowledge and getting the basic right.

The sump don't get any simpler than this.

Just a skimmer, a mainpump and a dosing unit.
The Powerfilter can be placed in the tank or on the intake of the mainpomp.

That's all...
684aa21fdf2d1864646fb08062b3aa60.jpg

Sump #frag700reef

35bb12e4c3d322a9c516854f73e0f369.jpg

Sump #EZ550reef

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 48.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back