The Endurance of the LifeReef Venturi Protein Skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmers are one of the most effective forms of nutrient reduction in a saltwater aquarium, and one of the most unique pieces of equipment for a reef tank. They work by combining lots of fine air bubbles with aquarium water into a contact chamber of various dimensions, the air being provided by a few […]
Source

Continue reading...

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake I always watch your videos and content can you do a review on red sea lights if they actually grow coral and one on a simple way to run a calcium reactor for smaller tanks like a red sea 425xl

U

User1

View Badges
Just because something is 99% in the hobby doesn't mean it is actually better or a good thing. Many reasons why, in my opinion, that this could be. Copycats, slapping new branding, selling as newer model, increase price, must be better. Right? The Ford F 150 has out sold every other truck on the market for the last 40+ years does that mean it is the best. More != better (unless it is your bank account, right?).

What do the 1% know that the other 99 don't? I can't answer that nor will I try. I will say this though. I purchased a skimmer from Jeff in 2000 for a 100 gallon tank. It was expensive for me at the time. He said trust me, it will last and will support a couple upgrades provided they are not crazy. Guess what. I recently upgraded to a 210 gallon tank and that same skimmer is in use 20 years later....in 2020. The design works. Plain and simple.

Owning one I'd say I'm probably biased. However, I think his argument is valid. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. That is the case here with Lifereef skimmers.

Edit: Thank you for the article and what you do. It takes time. So keep up the good work.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef Skimmers are tried and true. One reason they don't get pushed is because online retailers don't sell them , only Jeff at Lifereef sells them , so you won't ever see a online retailer or YouTube video endorsing them, because they can't make money from them.

How many times had Coral Vue , AquaMaxx, Reef Octo , Skimz , etc , etc come out with a new skimmer model only to discontinue the old one. They basically want you to keep buying new skimmers every few years .

I love my Lifereef skimmer, I don't have to do anything to it except empty collection cup. It is virtually maintenance free

Gregory Stephens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first aquarium has been running for 3 months. I already have corals, dozens of fish and three anemones. I feed my fish like their on a cruise ship. The life reef was the best choice that I made.
It is but simple. I watched a BRS on tuning and maintaining your protein skimmer. I laughed the whole time. I just empty the cup and change the charcoal bag that sits on top of the air escape.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh.., Venturi skimmers, I don’t say they are better or worse than needle wheel, but to be efficient, they need to be tall.
And I do not have enough space under my sump to put tall, Venturi skimmer there. For those with mega tanks they might be good solution.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back