The journey of a novice.

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Figure I would start a thread to show where i am at and what are my plans so far. I'm a green horn so I'm learning as I go. here are some progress shots and my ideas .. The tanks are a 75 gallon and a 56 column all going to a 55 gallon sump.

F1ADC1E0-78F8-44D9-8CDC-3E8F2E7D717B_zpstwowuykz.jpg
F3D90099-6F70-4D6D-ACBB-EE89DF923DA7_zps5yrb4rup.jpg

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is some of the designs I am working on as of now. enjoy questions comments welcome.

aquariumsetup1.jpg

aquascape layout.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to backdrop in your tank?!??! :eek::eek::eek:
upload_2016-12-2_7-38-36.png

If so ... OMG OMG OMG!!! Love it!!!:):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
How you plan on doing?

Will be following!!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a plan stocking wise since you chose two tanks to run into a sump?

What lighting type is planned?

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going to backdrop in your tank?!??! :eek::eek::eek:
upload_2016-12-2_7-38-36.png

If so ... OMG OMG OMG!!! Love it!!!:):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
How you plan on doing?

Will be following!!

yeah that is the background design, the spraygun will double as a fish cave, it will be molded from the org. and i will cast it with smoothcast 35. the spray gun paintmask will double as a eel cave cover as well as made from plastic. the rocks will be carved from foam and I will be casting them in a form of light weight concrete called GFRC. i use to teach classes on hot to make outdoor kitchens as well as mold making. so this will be fun to make. the other tank will be done in a Giger style. if you have any questions just let me know.

Gary

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a plan stocking wise since you chose two tanks to run into a sump?

What lighting type is planned?
I got the 56 column used so it came with some kind of led setup they seem bright. only time will tell. advice is welcome.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that is the background design, the spraygun will double as a fish cave, it will be molded from the org. and i will cast it with smoothcast 35. the spray gun paintmask will double as a eel cave cover as well as made from plastic. the rocks will be carved from foam and I will be casting them in a form of light weight concrete called GFRC. i use to teach classes on hot to make outdoor kitchens as well as mold making. so this will be fun to make. the other tank will be done in a Giger style. if you have any questions just let me know.

Gary
OMG ... I honestly have NO clue on your explanation ... but that wasn't your fault!:rolleyes:
Question ... Yes, want to make one for my 56g Reef Savvy?!??!? ;)

Will definitely be following this and drooling the whole way!!!;)

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG ... I honestly have NO clue on your explanation ... but that wasn't your fault!:rolleyes:
Question ... Yes, want to make one for my 56g Reef Savvy?!??!? ;)

Will definitely be following this and drooling the whole way!!!;)

no worries, It's not a easy concept to grasp . it's a form of concrete mixed with a special type of fiberglass strands not the normal ones cause it will cause rust. it's a light weight used in high end homes like shower panels and kitchen sinks. you can make a 3x/8 panel an park a truck on it and it will not break. I'm a open book just ask. I will shape the back ground out of expanding foam first.then I will use a wet clay for the details. I come from a automotive back ground so i wanted my tanks to show that. my casting and molding material will come from smooth on. if need be and enough people would like i will be happy to do a how to but my grammer sucks so i might need a ghost writer. I have a list of stocking for the tanks but I have so many people tell me this or that won't work but I see it in fish places . so far 2 eels in two different tanks a blue ribon in the long and snow in the small one. I just got 10k in aqua plants seeds coming to me from my supplier so . my basement will be turned into a Koi breeding farm for the time being. as well as I will make a in wall water changing system so I don't carry water up stairs .. I'm using a washing maching rough in for the wall. for my storage tanks I will make them out of ply woof with a pond coating causse I can't fit them in the basement. for give me for all the typos I'm a fast typer and don't go back to fix grammer or i will forget.. well here is the main graphic elements printed .. I have a large format printer so makes it easy.
5DA8E3C1-AB72-4A8E-8559-97F9421CDCA3_zpsclfapvhh.jpg

ANy questions just asks WAs thinking of doing a youtube channel. but i don't know enought about aquariums other them making them look cool..lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Love the concept!

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries, It's not a easy concept to grasp . it's a form of concrete mixed with a special type of fiberglass strands not the normal ones cause it will cause rust. it's a light weight used in high end homes like shower panels and kitchen sinks. you can make a 3x/8 panel an park a truck on it and it will not break. I'm a open book just ask. I will shape the back ground out of expanding foam first.then I will use a wet clay for the details. I come from a automotive back ground so i wanted my tanks to show that. my casting and molding material will come from smooth on. if need be and enough people would like i will be happy to do a how to but my grammer sucks so i might need a ghost writer. I have a list of stocking for the tanks but I have so many people tell me this or that won't work but I see it in fish places . so far 2 eels in two different tanks a blue ribon in the long and snow in the small one. I just got 10k in aqua plants seeds coming to me from my supplier so . my basement will be turned into a Koi breeding farm for the time being. as well as I will make a in wall water changing system so I don't carry water up stairs .. I'm using a washing maching rough in for the wall. for my storage tanks I will make them out of ply woof with a pond coating causse I can't fit them in the basement. for give me for all the typos I'm a fast typer and don't go back to fix grammer or i will forget.. well here is the main graphic elements printed .. I have a large format printer so makes it easy.
5DA8E3C1-AB72-4A8E-8559-97F9421CDCA3_zpsclfapvhh.jpg

ANy questions just asks WAs thinking of doing a youtube channel. but i don't know enought about aquariums other them making them look cool..lol

I am beyond words and jealous!!!;)
Here is a great resource on getting started ... Lots of information:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THank you guys, the one eel I want is a blue ribbon and the other I found one i like but out of my price range. I would love a lava, or a orange looking one.. but yes snow flakes do get tired of looking at. I just got back from picking up the spray gun to use as the cave. got alot of work to do to it.. I'm a nooob to this hobby so I'm taking my skills as a designer and hope i don't kill any fish in the long run..lol besides I hope people will like my back grounds and hire me to build them some one off ones. What other kind of eels are you thinking of? it's starting out in a 56 column but i can up grade later own if need be lol. Thanks Gary

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my center focal point larger so I can make it 3d like a carved stone instead of a plain rock .I took a ride to Harbor to pick up a cheap spray gun to to make a copy of.. i tore it down and removed all the extra inner parts not needed as well as fill all the openings with jb weld so I will not have any issues.. next step is to cup the cup and then make a copy. http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/bouoy/Aquarium stuff/AEB34A99-E50D-4708-82D1-FE21B94E4D59_zpskskq9j8v.jpghttp://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/bouoy/Aquarium stuff/11F7B5F4-DDC4-46FB-8689-4A9E9E1B545C_zpslp4gdmyk.jpg

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again ... Love it!!!
Can't wait to see how this all turns out!!

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks, this one will be simple compaired to the HR giger theme in the next tank. picked up some of the supplies for that. I am open to different types of eels to use. but I'm keeping the fish bright and the tank kind of dark and rusty looking. i know its not for everyone but I want to break the mold. lol i'm am redoing my office due to a upstairs office leak from the tub and running new wires so that was a venture all on it's own. since i have no garage here i have ot work in space and clean up at the same time so that is not fast nor fun tracking down tools. lol

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THank you guys, the one eel I want is a blue ribbon and the other I found one i like but out of my price range. I would love a lava, or a orange looking one.. but yes snow flakes do get tired of looking at. I just got back from picking up the spray gun to use as the cave. got alot of work to do to it.. I'm a nooob to this hobby so I'm taking my skills as a designer and hope i don't kill any fish in the long run..lol besides I hope people will like my back grounds and hire me to build them some one off ones. What other kind of eels are you thinking of? it's starting out in a 56 column but i can up grade later own if need be lol. Thanks Gary
If you ever get to a point that you offer them online ... let me know!;)

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well!! Gary that is some insane work you are doing n a very talented man I see with alot of patients which is good as this hobby is all about that. Great work so far I'll be following along..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back