The LED Doubting Thomas thread.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want LEDs to work as much as anyone else since I spend a fortune to keep my tank lit, but I am highly suspicious of their efficacy. First, the only commercial operation in agriculture currently using LEDs is a rose farm in Holland. All other commercial greenhouse operators continue to use sodium bulbs. Second, research in agriculture has demonstrated that individual plants have very different reactions to specific wavelengths. Roses like red, lettuce likes white, but we know virtually nothing about what wavelengths our corals like. It seems apparent that blues and purples like the current crop of LED lighting available, but I have yet to see a vibrant pink or red Seriatopora or Stylophora grown under LEDs. LEDs are definitely cool, but . . .

Can someone with LEDs start an experiment and try growing a red Stylophora? Show us a progression of pictures over the next year demonstrating the growth.

Truth be told I am working on doing this myself downstairs in my frag system, but I'd love to see someone who already has a pure LED setup give it a go.

Here's my current system which now has 4 blue Reefbrite LED strips on it and to me they definitely boost the blues incredibly well.

BigK.jpg

Back