The Mysterious Chambered Nautilus

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mysterious Chambered Nautilus

I recently had the opportunity to see one of these amazing, interesting creatures in person. While I don’t condone keeping this creature in captivity, it does happen and so we ordered one at the store. I was impressed with how well it shipped and acclimated. We had it eating only the second day and got to watch it motor around the tank for several weeks. We found the idea of having a “living fossil” in our care both intimidating and cool all at the same time.

Photo: Seasky.org
nautilus-shell-jpg.467260

While not actually a “living fossil” it is a creature that has been around since the dinosaurs with subtle changes in it’s DNA along the way. In person, this cephalopod certainly looks like something out of prehistoric times. In my mind, I always saw them as a cross between a cuttlefish and a snail. It has a large, spiraling shell that contains the animal’s internal organs, which are kept in the larger of the chambers until a new chamber is built and the organs can be moved to the new chamber. This is constantly happening as the creature grows. The rest of the shell is made up of the empty chambers that were left when the organs were moved into the new larger space. These hold a special fluid that the nautilus uses to control it’s buoyancy in the water. It can change the density in the fluid as needed to rise in the water or dive deeper when needed. Though, the nautilus typically found around 1000 feet, they can go up to 2000 feet before being crushed by the water pressure.

Photo by: Animal Graphics via Seagrest farms
chambered-nautilus-b-jpg.467261

Like most snails (hence why I think of them as part snail and part cuttlefish), there is a “trapdoor” that lays over the opening to the nautilus’s shell. Under this door you’ll find the nautilus itself which includes about 90 tentacles, two rudimentary eyes (similar to a pin hole camera) and it’s internal organs. The tentacles are used to grab food and bring it to the “crop” where it can store food for long periods.

I did some research on these guys when I heard we would be getting one at the store. I found that being a deep-water species they preferred water a bit cooler than we typically keep our reef tanks, though they are known to travel to the shallows at night to feed and to lay it’s eggs. They’ll eat just about anything they can find including dead fish, detritus, smaller crustaceans and even small, live fish if it’s easy enough to catch. I was able to get our nautilus to eat silver sides and krill reliably.

In the wild the nautilus uses a tube made of tissue to propel itself around with a jet of water. It did the same thing in our tank at the store, but not much. The higher flow in the tank was a bit much and tended to push it around, so ours stayed in the calmer waters near the overflows most of the time. It also never sank below the surface of the water. I don’t know if that has something to do with the water temp, or the fact that the tank was pretty shallow (not that it would know since it never once tried). We named it “bob” since that’s all it really did in the water.

It’s thought that the nautilus can live upwards of 20 years in the wild, but I’ve never heard of one lasting longer than a year in captivity. In our case, he was in an open-top tank and was constantly being touched, poked or picked up by our service employees. Customers were quite a bit better behaved than our employees sadly. After only a few weeks with us, the nautilus stopped eating and retreated into its shell. The “trap door” started to slide down revealing a black band under it which spelled bad news in my mind. After two days of wondering if it was alive and scared to handle it too much, we took it out and found that it was indeed dead as the “door” fell off without much prompting.

Photo by: melypr1985
chambered-nautilus-jpg.467262

My experience and story ended sadly, but I hoped to use it to educate people about this awesome creature and to convince hobbyists everywhere that these animals are among those that should be left in the ocean. There are worries about the nautilus being over-fished for it’s beautiful shell and talk about it being put on the endangered species list. Until then, we should try to control our impulsive natures (difficult I know!) and leave this animal in the ocean where it belongs. It must be said that there are people out there that have cared for a nautilus, but those people are considered “expert” level aquarists. The care of this animal shouldn’t be taken on by the average Joe hobbyist.

Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chambered_nautilus
http://www.seasky.org/deep-sea/chambered-nautilus.html

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm screaming; I love these!!!

...and crying, because the ending was both tragic and all too common.

Maybe one day there will be captive breeding efforts at aquariums? Until then, I will be happy to see them in videos and photos, and love them from afar.

I am always wearing my ammonite pendant; I love that their cousins live with us, on this planet, still.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was great! Thank you for sharing. I've always felt the same about these animals. They do seem like living fossils. I agree that they are not for the hobbyist. The only ones I've seen in captivity were at a public aquarium. They were by themselves in a tank with little flow just like you were saying. I would live to have one but the trouble of building a system specifically for them just doesn't pencil out. Great write up!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith, thanks for sharing your experiences. I also think it's worthwhile to mention the other three members of the Family, Cephalopod.....the octopus, squid and cuttlefish. I use to give talks at local elementary schools and one of the favorites was on cephalopods. The one thing I found interesting with this Family is that the ancestors of the above three also had shells. The Nautiloidea just retained it's shell through time. Again, thanks....good job, great article.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating creatures, but it always makes me a bit sad to see one bobbing about in a glass box. We're not very good for nautili . . .

Have you ever seen one of the "furry" ones? They're rather uncommon . . .

~Bruce

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. very interesting creature for sure. just curious about how big the nautilus was?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating creatures, but it always makes me a bit sad to see one bobbing about in a glass box. We're not very good for nautili . . .

Have you ever seen one of the "furry" ones? They're rather uncommon . . .

~Bruce

Yes. I was disappointed when I learned we got one for the store, but tried to make the best of it since i had no control over it otherwise.

I haven't seen that variety! I'll have to do a google search so I can see what they look like

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. very interesting creature for sure. just curious about how big the nautilus was?

I'm a terrible judge, and somebody stole the shell.... maybe about 4 1/2 inches across?

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a terrible judge, and somebody stole the shell.... maybe about 4 1/2 inches across?

crazy! it didn't look that big in the picture...and what the heck! why would somebody steal the shell?!?! I know it's a cool shell, but come on people where is the respect for other peoples stuff?!?!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy! it didn't look that big in the picture...and what the heck! why would somebody steal the shell?!?! I know it's a cool shell, but come on people where is the respect for other peoples stuff?!?!

Totally my fault. I left it at work when I left for the day, so who knows what happened to it. Maybe I'll ask tomorrow and see who looks guilty LOL

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been charmed by nautilus for years. I'd always heard that they were difficult, if not impossible to keep, for any length of time. So instead, I enjoy pictures and videos of them. They are so darn fascinating. But to have one in my aquarium? No, I could never do that either, so I get where you're coming from. They definitely need to stay in the ocean. Kind of like Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse, I would LOVE to have one, but I won't do that to the species.

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article was very enjoyable, like so many others are saying it's a species best left in the wild. It's sad the store employees couldn't leave it alone but curiosity killed the cat as they say.. this species much like the great white shark are a mystery to scientist and just can't be kept in captivity long. What's so funny about them is they're so hard to keep in a tank yet they have survived for millions of years in the ocean! Wierd but true. I'll pass on owning one and maybe one day they will unlock the mystery of safely keeping them in captivity.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing three of them in a tank in a pet store in KC growing up. They are amazing creatures. Definitely ones to be left to the depths of the ocean. It's a shame nobody would leave him alone, people are the worst.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw a public aquarium in Bangkok with a Nautilis display. I think the tank mates were Pinecone Fish. The aquarium is in Siam Mall in Bangkok. Nice display of fresh and saltwater fish up to sharks, rays, and schools of fish. One tank was over 6 meters high.

Years ago one of my customers sold some Nautilis and Pinecone fish through his small store in Portland, OR. Have not seen them in the trade since. Amazing creatures. And yes just because we can does not mean we should try to keep them.

ThreeAces_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. Now I'm curious though, don't these things live deep in the ocean? In my opinion they probably survived the pressure going from deep to shallow when it was collected but for its overall health it probably needs to be at a certain pressure to survive. I know I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up; but the pressure and lights are def different on its home turf.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article, I have always been fascinated by these beautiful creatures, how sad that it ended badly.
As always, enjoy reading your articles, threads and post
Thank you!:)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. Now I'm curious though, don't these things live deep in the ocean? In my opinion they probably survived the pressure going from deep to shallow when it was collected but for its overall health it probably needs to be at a certain pressure to survive. I know I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up; but the pressure and lights are def different on its home turf.

I think that could have something to do with how well they do in captivity as well. I figure they need to be able to go down deeper than our tanks provide. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to keep deep sea creatures in our tanks.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They keep these at Epcot Orlando. The tank is very cold with what looks like very little flow. There must be 25-30 in a tank. Definitely worth checking out

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing. I see these as well as flame scallops in lfs frequently, and every time it makes me sad :-/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back