The nerve of some LFS

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a very big fish store today that got in about 30 boxes of fish and coral. To my suprise I saw an owner of another LFS there waiting for the coral to be unpacked so he could buy the best pieces. This is sad to buy from a big fish store that gives good prices and then turn around and sell the stuff for more. Just my opinion.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I worked for a LFS for over 7 years and this kind of stuff went on every day. There is also perks for working there to, I would always unpack the the stuff after hours and get first pick. All my customers would give me a hard time about it. They wanted to go to my home and shop for coral. A few of them got really upset about it.

Weetabix7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for a LFS for over 7 years and this kind of stuff went on every day. There is also perks for working there to, I would always unpack the the stuff after hours and get first pick. All my customers would give me a hard time about it. They wanted to go to my home and shop for coral. A few of them got really upset about it.

I used to live in NW OKC.
Which LFS did you work at?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One guy here in Kalamazoo would do the same thing except he didn't share shipping. The shop he bought the coral from would charge $40 for something and that same thing at his place was $55-$60....I can understand the main LFS doing it as it's cash and who cares who pays for it. But if the other dude is upping the price cause he can't get wholesale it's kinda sad really.

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm in south florida, was a store buying from big al's? and what store was selling for a mark up?

Weetabix7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live in S. Fl, Hollywood to be exact, and I don't care for Big Al's, their stuff didn't seem very healthy.
I'm a big fan of Fish's Paradise on Hallandale Bch. Blvd. in Hallandale though.
I used to work there years ago.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my shop years ago I use to get the same couple guys come in and buy all my cherry stuff when it came in. A day or two later tehy were on the boards selling frags of the same coral I just sold them for big bucks. I won't lie it PO'd me for awhile. Eventually I decided to just start propagating corals myself so I started to keep teh cherry ones in the shop for aquaculture. But I always offered a certain number of frags from each colony as wild cuttings. Long story short these guys came in trying to cherry pick again and when I said frags only got ticked and never came back. So it's not only stores that do it.

Not saying it is right or wrong.....its just how it goes.

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really is not that big a deal, it is a retail store that he is buying from and we have the same opportunity that he does.

I'm sure that stores here in S. florida go to deep reef and resell the stuff in their own stores.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not that big of deal to me either as whoever is dumb enough to buy it for more is their own fault. When i buy stuff i know the price that they usually go for and i shop around for the cheapest. But if i see a piece i must have then i'll pay what i want to pay for it.

AussieLordfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy for you guys to say that but for some noobs, they'll get ripped off and don't even know it.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my shop years ago I use to get the same couple guys come in and buy all my cherry stuff when it came in. A day or two later tehy were on the boards selling frags of the same coral I just sold them for big bucks. I won't lie it PO'd me for awhile. Eventually I decided to just start propagating corals myself so I started to keep teh cherry ones in the shop for aquaculture. But I always offered a certain number of frags from each colony as wild cuttings. Long story short these guys came in trying to cherry pick again and when I said frags only got ticked and never came back. So it's not only stores that do it.

Not saying it is right or wrong.....its just how it goes.

you should see it in Toronto....we have two big* frag stores here in Toronto....i know both of these guys very well......all they do is haul butt to every single new shipment and grab the best stuff....next week, the stuff hits their sites for insane markups.

There was this one rock of zoas this one dude took right from under my nose (we both helped unpack a Bali shipment along with other guys)....I almost rammed it up his fat nose in frustration....he got the rock for $80...had about 60-70 polyps or so.....he then turned around and sold it for $50 PER POLYP on his site!!!!!!!!!

I guess that's capitalism....but heck...man, that was a NICE rock of zoas.

*by big, I mean small time, basement chop shops.

Zach

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back