The order of things...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, not far from being able to hook up all my pumps, skimmer, wave pumps etc and test the plumbing. Have questions on the order to do each item.

1-- I would think testing the bulk heads is first: pour water into the overflow and check for leaks on the drains and returns

2-- Add sand

3-- Fill sump and tank with saltwater and test plumbing.

Should I set up the refugium yet or wait until everything is tested. AFter test, remove some water to add sand and rock to sump or should the sump be completely set up first.

Should I do the sand and water first before testing plumbing? This part makes me nervous...

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check for leaks using tap water. Once everything's Ru ning as u want them mix salt water in tank. I like to rinse sand and then add u will get a sand storm for a couple days but it'll clear up.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Reef lover. I did the fill the tank with tap water and checked for leaks. I have rock in there now. I could use ro water just in the overflow boxes to check for leaks. Not sure I want to refill with tap and drain it all again. You know, CA and our water conscious minds :rolleyes:.

Should I set up the sump and the refugium and get that ready before I test? could put in a powerhead for water movement in the fuge

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled my tank up with RODI water to test the plumbing. I ended up draining the overflow box a few times to fix leaking bulkheads before we got it right. I would not set up your fuge until everything has passed the test because it would be a pain to drain it if you had to.

I rinsed my sand well and added it and my rocks once the tank was first tested to be leak free.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill with ro/di water. Check for leaks. Add sump and plumbing and pumps. Check for leaks.

No leaks. Add salt. Run system till salt disolves and you are at correct saltwater levels.

Add sand. Rinsed in ro water. Put some filter socks in to remove anything that becomes cloudy

After the tank clears. Start cycle

Enjoy your reef

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Jeepguy242 I plan to use tap water to rinse sand and when clear, do another rinse or 2 with ro water unless sand isn't too bad with the first batch. Sand arrives on Friday!

If you add sand after water, don't you have to remove some to make room for sand?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of testing. I _always_ fill a new system with tap water. Test my overflow, pumps, returns... not only looking for leaks, but NOISE. This is the time, when you can still change stuff pretty easily, to find out that your overflow sounds like a toilet flushing! Water flow... how loud is the flow rate in your sump when it's falling over the baffles? In my latest system, the drop from the splash/ref section of the sump to the skimmer section is about 5 inches. Didn't realize, until I tested, that it was going to sound like a waterfall. No big deal, drain some water to gain access, drill a few 3/8" holes in the baffle _below_ normal water level, and fill it back up with tap water. I was able to silence the din, without reducing flow (Triton system planned, wanted 10x turnover rates).

I'll generally test with tap water for a week or so. I _know_ it's not going to leak, and I _know_ that it's not going to be noisier than I can accept...

Then, I drain, use a shop vac to suck out whatever I can't siphon, wipe it all down... you've now CLEANED all of the assembly dust and manufacturing oils from your system...

If you can, it's usually best to mix your saltwater separately, and fill with gravel and rock already in place. I typically can't do that... don't have the water containers I'd need to do it that way, so initial fill, I fill with RO/DI, then add salt to taste, and then add rock, then sand. Yeah, it's going to be a mess for a while. Oh well... it'll settle down.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will avoid nineteen headaches on your new sand if you will rinse it in tap water until it runs clean, all of it, before use

The cloud from not rinsing is hassle, of no benefit, best trick ever is the incremental sand pre rinse.

It changes what you can do with your tank from there on out in really important ways, ways we build nine page threads over

To not rinse it is to opt into high surface area silicate and clouding that takes days to subside at times, is subject to kick up with slightest touch later, it's literally all bad silt and not of any help though the companies often add a clarifier to offset it.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using dry rock?

I agree with Greybeard. Leak and noise test the entire system before adding anything else. Then rock if using dry rock, then salt water (reverse these two if using live rock), then sand. A funnel and a piece of PVC can greatly reduce the sandstorm when adding the (well rinsed) sand. Then turn the pumps back on and start the fun!

If you are using live rock it's perfectly ok to mix the salt water in the tank IMO. Just let it circulate for a few hours before adding the live rock.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is already in. Put it in after I leak tested the tank itself. I figured I'd add ro water, mixt some salt in buckets, real strong but get it dissolved and then add that in.

@brandon429 I plan to rinse the sand really well outside. I can do a final rinse with ro water to get rid of the tap. I'm using 2 40 lbs bags and 1 or 2 20 lb of live sand, which will not get rinsed.
@saltyhog Using dry rock
@Greybeard thanks. Will fill with rodi and add salt as it will take me a while to get enough rodi made. I have 2 20 gal brute cans and am going to pick up a 32 and get that filled. I'll fill my 5 gal jugs too!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live sand needs the rinse

Does not harm it nor bacteria

It's ok to not rinse, many won't. A hidden select few do, it's so positive

to not rinse gives no benefit, and starts off with many factors that affect early tank invasions but I’ve kept them unrinsed too just minor adjustment options

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't see the advantage of live sand. There are no possible living organisms in it other than bacteria and those can easily be acquired elsewhere.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus there’s so many places to buy actual pod cultures now, several kinds, you can custom seed the setup after strong prep

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back