The Salt Prices All Around - Opinions

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably beating the dead proverbial horse here, but I'm officially low on salt and I was wanting to switch back to Reef Crystals for the elevated levels because I do Bi Weekly to Monthly water changes, but WOW I do not want to pay $70 a bucket now for Reef Crystals. I know no one is making me buy it, but that was one of the biggest things that drew me to IO/RC was the value for a great salt. I currently use Fritz RPM, which I have no issues with per say, but I haven't bought salt in a long while only to get shell shocked at the price increase!

So, what is the opinion here on IO/RC now that the price has basically doubled? Still worth shelling out extra $$ for it now or should I be looking at something else now? I also know about the discounts you can get with autoship and first time customer stuff, but I don't want to have to do that every time I am in need of salt now.

I have also noticed its not just IO/RC, it seems pretty much every salt has gone up. I used to buy buckets of Tropic Marin Pro Reef for $92 a bucket, which is why I switched over to RPM because it just got too expensive.

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a peek at the AF salt, but I am really not thrilled with these increases and what position it puts people into now on salt choices.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't like the price but tired of the messy mix and excessive alk in instant ocean and RC. I am experimenting with switching to Tropic marin reef pro. Bucket that actually mixes to 200g with about 8dkh alkalinity (I run CaRx). Set me back $120 shipping included and no tax from saltwateraquarium. Plus, the bucket I received is actually made in Germany and not the stuff they were making in Turkey that people had problems with.

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't like the price but tired of the messy mix and excessive alk in instant ocean and RC. I am experimenting with switching to Tropic marin reef pro. Bucket that actually mixes to 200g with about 8dkh alkalinity (I run CaRx). Set me back $120 shipping included and no tax from saltwateraquarium. Plus, the bucket I received is actually made in Germany and not the stuff they were making in Turkey that people had problems with.
TMPR is a great salt, but I couldn't justify the increase to almost $120 a bucket. It's ridiculous how much that salt is now.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hw- marine mix reefer. I buy the big box from brs. It goes on sale all the time and i haven’t paid full price yet. Very happy with the quality.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably beating the dead proverbial horse here, but I'm officially low on salt and I was wanting to switch back to Reef Crystals for the elevated levels because I do Bi Weekly to Monthly water changes, but WOW I do not want to pay $70 a bucket now for Reef Crystals. I know no one is making me buy it, but that was one of the biggest things that drew me to IO/RC was the value for a great salt. I currently use Fritz RPM, which I have no issues with per say, but I haven't bought salt in a long while only to get shell shocked at the price increase!

So, what is the opinion here on IO/RC now that the price has basically doubled? Still worth shelling out extra $$ for it now or should I be looking at something else now? I also know about the discounts you can get with autoship and first time customer stuff, but I don't want to have to do that every time I am in need of salt now.

I have also noticed its not just IO/RC, it seems pretty much every salt has gone up. I used to buy buckets of Tropic Marin Pro Reef for $92 a bucket, which is why I switched over to RPM because it just got too expensive.
it's 69$ for 200 gallons. how much are you used to spending? that's about .37 cents a gallon after taxes.....

Screenshot_20230823_203708_Chewy.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, considering I used to snag buckets of RC for $44 and IO for as low as $33 sometimes, you can see the difference.
everything in the world has gone through some sort of inflation over the past few years i.o is no different, it's still pretty reasonable, not sure how long ago you were snagging buckets, but I've seen sales for cheaper than that price I quoted (this year), look for sales and stock up, the best you can do.

salt is still the cheaper part of the hobby, now talk about a racket =frozen fish food! is ridiculous $$!!!

OP
OP
Pyrogens

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything in the world has gone through some sort of inflation over the past few years i.o is no different, it's still pretty reasonable, not sure how long ago you were snagging buckets, but I've seen sales for cheaper than that price I quoted (this year), look for sales and stock up, the best you can do.

salt is still the cheaper part of the hobby, now talk about a racket =frozen fish food! is ridiculous $$!!!
You're not wrong at all, I get it. Maybe I need to look for sales, but I usually only buy what I need for half a year to a year, rinse repeat. Last time I got cheap buckets of RC was late 22' to early in the year this year. I definitely didn't pay nowhere close to almost $70 a bucket.

Im crying over spilled milk yes, but dangit it's frustrating! I'm essentially back in the same spot where I was when TMPR priced me out of their salt.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still will not do IO, after a 50 gallon bag worth of water changes for my 75 gallon my montis browned out, might be only time I had a coral health issue and knew exactly what caused it. A couple months of the usual reef crystals and tank bounced back. I’ll even post the proof.

IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg May 15, 2021 - brown, no fluorescence
IMG_5515.jpeg

There was a Tidal Gardens video a few years later where Than mentioned he had same experience.

Attachments

• IMG_6577.jpeg
    IMG_6577.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 36

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched, ended up with 3 boxes of AF reef salt during the last BRS sale. would suggest you wait for that sale and just stock up. The AF salt mixes so fast and clean. The ICP test is a nice bonus. Definitely worth the premium
This. Went to AF and the 200g bag is comparable in price to IO.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched, ended up with 3 boxes of AF reef salt during the last BRS sale. would suggest you wait for that sale and just stock up. The AF salt mixes so fast and clean. The ICP test is a nice bonus. Definitely worth the premium
+1 to AF Reef Salt. Really good salt. Never any residue in my mix tank, levels are good and corals seem to love it.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running rsbb for the past 3+ years and have been sticking to it with decent results so I haven't thought about changing and I can easily get it locally, with coral trade in discounts so that's a big deciding factor.

I ran iorc for years though, always had good enough results. I never thought about different salts until I joined r2r anyway lol. (you influencers!!)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of gallons they state per a bag is not accurate at the salinity we like to keep when it comes to most salt boxes. BRS did a video on this

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back