The Saltwater Cube Journey- 24G JBJ Nano Cube

saltwatercube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! In December I picked up my first SW tank an old 2006 24G JBJ Nano Cube off the market place. The lights were shot and we had to redo the whole hood, but I have deeply enjoyed refurbishing it. I am a very patient beginner SW tank owner and research things meticulously before doing them. Currently, I am in the process of cycling it and it is super close (I have had many FW tanks before this so cycling is the part that I am best at). The AIO compartments are HUGE so I did a media basket in one, eventual refugium in the middle, and upgraded the pump in the third chamber. I have plans to also run a protein skimmer in the future in the back.

We got the following light off Amazon and I was thrilled that it had such high wattage, was full spectrum, and was affordable! Light Link. Since the lights in the hood were broken so badly, we could only get a light that would fit in the hood and this one fit like a glove! It has dimming settings and a moonlight which are great!

The problem I am having is with the timer on the light. I wanted to automate the lights so that they turned on, dimmed, and went t moonlight like a night cycle instead of switching it on and off every day and worrying about the variable of manually timing things. This light's timer is very basic and will not do that; I have to turn it on every day for the 8 hour timer and then switch it to moonlight once that 8 hour timer is done or it goes off.

Is there any solutions to an automatic timer/dimmer that I could add? Or any light suggestions that are budget friendly? Having a hood has limited me since it has to be a light that will go under the hood (18 inches), so I am even contemplating scrapping this, but what would I replace it with?

Anyways, thank you in advance:

Here is my planned eventual, gradual, stocking list that I hope to implement over the next year as my tank matures:
-Fish: 2 clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 royal gramma basslet, and maybe a yellow watchman Goby, but that is very debatable depending on how my journey is going
-CUC- shrimp, crabs, snails
-corals: basic soft corals and very beginner and easy corals. also interested in an anemone wayyy further down the line when my tank matures

3f29ecf3-b7e1-4f98-8250-c9580f553358.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coralife makes a power strip that has a timer built in for your lights. Easy to use. Steve's LEDs are are good options for under the hood. I'd wait and see how those do first.

OP
OP
S

saltwatercube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife makes a power strip that has a timer built in for your lights. Easy to use. Steve's LEDs are are good options for under the hood. I'd wait and see how those do first.
That's so helpful! Would I be able to use the power strip on my current lighting system? Thanks so much!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, a tailspot blenny would be perfect in your tank :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@kevgib67 see above...I think the OP might need some tailspot photo bombing here lol

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! In December I picked up my first SW tank an old 2006 24G JBJ Nano Cube off the market place. The lights were shot and we had to redo the whole hood, but I have deeply enjoyed refurbishing it. I am a very patient beginner SW tank owner and research things meticulously before doing them. Currently, I am in the process of cycling it and it is super close (I have had many FW tanks before this so cycling is the part that I am best at). The AIO compartments are HUGE so I did a media basket in one, eventual refugium in the middle, and upgraded the pump in the third chamber. I have plans to also run a protein skimmer in the future in the back.

We got the following light off Amazon and I was thrilled that it had such high wattage, was full spectrum, and was affordable! Light Link. Since the lights in the hood were broken so badly, we could only get a light that would fit in the hood and this one fit like a glove! It has dimming settings and a moonlight which are great!

The problem I am having is with the timer on the light. I wanted to automate the lights so that they turned on, dimmed, and went t moonlight like a night cycle instead of switching it on and off every day and worrying about the variable of manually timing things. This light's timer is very basic and will not do that; I have to turn it on every day for the 8 hour timer and then switch it to moonlight once that 8 hour timer is done or it goes off.

Is there any solutions to an automatic timer/dimmer that I could add? Or any light suggestions that are budget friendly? Having a hood has limited me since it has to be a light that will go under the hood (18 inches), so I am even contemplating scrapping this, but what would I replace it with?

Anyways, thank you in advance:

Here is my planned eventual, gradual, stocking list that I hope to implement over the next year as my tank matures:
-Fish: 2 clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 royal gramma basslet, and maybe a yellow watchman Goby, but that is very debatable depending on how my journey is going
-CUC- shrimp, crabs, snails
-corals: basic soft corals and very beginner and easy corals. also interested in an anemone wayyy further down the line when my tank matures

3f29ecf3-b7e1-4f98-8250-c9580f553358.jpeg
Nice looking aquascape!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you supply more details on your startup?

Did you use dry substrate & dry rock? If so, what is your source of inoculated biodiversity?

Since this is your first marine tank, what is your goal for this ecosyste? Decide first, then purchase appropriate equipment, but most important, choose compatible live stock to compliment your theme for the tank:

Fish only with live rock.
Community tank with mixed invertebrates.
Predator tank.
SPS only.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back